Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Large Egg & Have some questions

68rustang
68rustang Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend my wife gave me a Medium BGE for my birthday to replace the flower pot rig that had served me well for the last two years and got me started with BBQ. Today, I exchanged the medium for a large. The dealer didn't have any plate setters in stock and doesn't know when they will get more :( The large was still boxed so a friend and I put in the truck and went home. After dinner I unpacked the box and started inspecting things hoping to get it assembled. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered they didn't include ANY of the hardware, rings, hinge, vent, nothing but the ceramic parts. By the time I realized I was probably missing box 2 the dealer was closed. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the rest of the parts and put this thing together. Anyway, on to my questions.

[ol][li]What accessories are necessary for cooking?[/li]
[li]Does anybody have an online source for parts and accessories that they would recommend?[/li]
[li]Does anybody have any pictures of corner tables that will hold an egg?[/li]
[li]Are there any sites showing modifications that people have made to their eggs?[/][/ol]

I see I can quickly spend the price of the egg in accessories but curious about what is considered necesary vs nice to have vs gimmicky. My intial plans are to try it as a smoker for some pulled pork but without a plate setter that might be #2. I'd like to try searing some steaks, and the pizzas everyone is talking about sound wonderful, again no plate setter.

I am all for supporting my local dealer but he doesn't have much in stock and I can't wait weeks to try this thing out.

I need to build a table and my wife would like something to tuck into the corner of the deck.

I'm sure there are plenty of threads here but this forum software isn't very easy to use or search compared to the vBulletin stuff I am used to using. Any forum upgrades planned? :)

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    1 Charcoal and a way to light it.

2-4 will be answered while reading this. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic2.htm

Welcome to the forum. Bummer you have to wait another day.
  • Yes, you are missing box 2. The plate setter, ash tool, and grid lifter are my 3 most used accessories. Are there any other dealers in your area that might have the plate setter (where are you)? you might try here for online http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

and welcome to the forum
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    I can't recall the price of my large, but I think with tax it was approached 900, but included assembly, a platesetter, and delivery. If I had the chance to save money on the assembly or delivery, I'd have passed!

You'll get loads of different answers on necessary toys, but I'd assume the universal #1 is a platesetter. I have a small table I built, but not corner. One thing I would not skimp on is the table or "toy storage." You likely will end up wanting things like adjustable rig, pizza stone, and you'll need storage. If you don't already have, a good remote thermometer like Maverick 73 for ~$35 bucks is essential for overnight cooks. Thermapen, at almost $100, is pricey but worth it if it lasts, as all say it does. I confidently cook meat to right doneness now without a lot of scars where I cut in "to make sure".

Try the "ceramic grill store" on line for good ideas, excellent folks to deal with and well respected here on board. Sooner or later you'll want to add grill space, I got their adjustable rig, but there are cheaper solutions (four bolts supporting a second grid - good time to purchase a cast iron for searing marks to compliment the BGE grid).

I got frustrated waiting for a grid from my dealer (I guess they only get a shipment once a quarter or something). You aren't going to want to wait that long for a platesetter. I'd call around or post a request here, often dealers elsewhere will offer to ship you a platesetter, but they are heavy and fragile.

Good luck, get cookin'!
  • Contact your dealer to fix the missing parts.
    For eggcessories:
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/
    for tools,recipes and advice
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/
    advice about table set-up safety
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm
    about charcoal..visit
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    about table design
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicbuild.htm
    for pictures of eggers tables
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/photos.htm
    There are many more ideas/recipes and advice on this forum.
    Welcome ,have fun, post pictures of your cooks
  • Wow! I didn't expect so many replies so quickly. Thank you and please keep'em coming! Yeah I called the dealer about the second box hoping somebody was there late, no luck. I am sure they have it there, they just didn't give it to me and I didn't know any better.

I guess I should have left "cooking" off of #1 :) I have charcoal and a few sticks to rub togther so I should be OK :)

I am just South of Cleveland, OH. I don't have any other dealers close enough to warrant driving to if things are available online. My dealer said they have had the plate setters on order for weeks and didn't know when they were coming in. The medium egg I exchanged had a plate setter.

I found the naked whiz site yesterday and have spent quite a bit of time poking around. I have been browsing the table pics all evening getting ideas.

On my list are plate setter, ash tool, grate gripper, pizza stone (one of the ones I already have might fit) a second grate and a cover of some sort.

Is the iron grate really needed for steaks or just "nice to have?"
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Nice to have, to get grill marks. Also, when the grill has the large flat sides of bars up, it makes it more challenging for little things like shrimp and veggies to fall through!
  • And yes I am looking for suggestions for a remote probe, dual if possible. Will defintely check out the Maverick.

Local Lowes has a taylor remote probe on sale for $19. The one review doesn't sound so good. Has anybody else tried one?
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    There is a dealer located in Westlake, I have never been to their store yet and the one I use is located in Elyria, Capells not sure of the spelling. He usually has good stock or gets items in real fast.
  • Thanks for the tip. I am down in Brecksville. My plan in the morning is to be at the Fireplace Shoppe in Northfield when they open @ 9 and get the rest of the parts. I looked at the dealer list and I think one or two might actually be on my way in to Cleveland. I'll have to call to see if they are actually stocking dealers or what. Hopefully I can get everything gathered up to cook something soon.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Consider getting an "Adjustable Rig" from the Ceramic Grill Store. Maybe give Tom a call and talk to him about what you will be cooking on your egg. He has some great equipment for the large egg and if you get the right stuff from him you won't need the plate setter to cook indirect. Tim ;)
  • I am considering it but I think I want to get used to the basics first. The parts look well thought out and the prices really aren't too bad.

Are the stones that CGS sells as barriers different than a pizza stone?
  • I stopped out there this morning and there was a different guy. He gave me the EGGcessary pack with all the hardware I was missing. I also asked him about the plate setter, he checked with the mfg and found they already shipped and they (Fireplace Shoppe) should get them today. :) I might actually get to fire this thing up soon.
  • Welcome, I'm originally from Mentor. I like the Rustang handle, reminds me of all our cars growing up.

I've ordered stuff from Fred's Music & BBQ, service was good, platesetter arrived fast & intact.

You will really enjoy your egg.
  • The handle comes from when I first started using online forums. It was a Mustang site, www.stangnet.com, that I joined while building my 68 Mustang. The Mustang is no longer rusty but it keeps it simple to use the same screen name everywhere.
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    If you are talking about a cast iron grid, I personally would rank it well above "nice to have". I use mine almost exclusively, (I was going to say especially for beef but I use it for everything) I haven't used my porcelain grid in almost a year.