Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg and Table

NavyEggHead
NavyEggHead Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picture of my new setup. Nothing fancy, but it sure does cook a great steak!

bge1.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    very nice and they sure do a good job with a piece of beef in there :) Only thing I would do is to put the three little feet under that egg that came with it. over time that paver does get hot enough to dry out and scorch the wood under it. You would never think it but there have been many pics on here from when people are redoing the tables and get a nice surprise when they move the egg and paver :blink:
  • Thanks! I had noticed that several pictures showed that the feet were used. Good thing that I did not "just throw them out" like the dealer told me I could.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL no do not toss them! DEALERS!!! :evil: :( not a clues most of them. I have extras that come in handy for raising a pot off the plate setter or stone and just to give lift and air space .
    002-1.jpg
    trkysetup.jpg
    dealers.... I am shaking my head.. there are some good ones but more than not they have never even lit one...
  • Great job but, like Julie said, get the feeties under the paver.

NavyEggHead? Retired or active? Location?

I'm retired Navy in Massachusetts.

Just curious.
  • Retired in 1996 after 23 years. Was on submarines in New London and spent time in Norfolk, Charleston, and Panama City, FL. Retired as a MMCM and Navy Diver. Teaching math in Gainesville, Georgia now.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    NavyEggHead wrote:
    Retired in 1996 after 23 years. Was on submarines in New London and spent time in Norfolk, Charleston, and Panama City, FL. Retired as a MMCM and Navy Diver. Teaching math in Gainesville, Georgia now.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for serving. I never served but, in 1975 I signed up for the draft after coming of age. I never was called and I got into other things.

I know there are other retired Navy submariners eggheads here. Maybe they will give you a shout. Tim

By the way I have about ten or more feet laying around. I use them often. I have a table like yours and I use the extra feet to place the daisy wheel on after shutting the egg down. I would not want to place the hot daisy wheel on the table with out them. I also on occasion have other hot items I set on the extra feet on my nice table. There are many uses for the feet.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 28
    There seems to be plenty of retired navy personal that are eggheads. Myself I retired in 1993 after 21 years. All surface fleet. I guess it has something to do with Navy chow and the search to get the taste out of your mouth.
  • Looks good. What did you use to treat the wood on the table?
  • That is really nice
  • Good looking setup, you will love the thing. I spent a few years on an FFG. Somebody has an SSN686 handle, hopefully he will see this. You sub guys eat better than the surface fleet, but the egg will out-do them all, don't worry.
  • Cabot Stains Australian Timber Oil in Jarrah Brown. Looks real good on the cedar wood of the table!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Nice table and welcome aboard! BTW what is the small board on the end? Some sort of pull out "bread board?" And the purpose is...?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    Ron, If his table is like mine I think that is a board for shipping and meant to be removed upon unpacking but not for certain. I bought the table and had to assemble it myself and I left it there as well. Tim

000_1104.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks, but I'm Ron like in RRP not Randy like in AZRP. :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    Oh gosh! :unsure: I'd screw up my grandmas name if I could. I have Ron = RRP
    and Randy = AZRP

on my desk pad but it don't help much. :blush:

If you forgive me I'll dance at your wedding! :woohoo:

2fat
  • It appears that is exactly what I did. I guess the boards are supposed to be removed, but I didn't know that. No instructions included with the table and I thought maybe they were some sort of handles or something. I wonder if the stain would look too bad if I took them off at this point.
  • 2Fategghead
    As you know they are fixed with two screws and pretty rigid at that. I have left mine there to see if I may hook cooking utensils to them. Tim :)

000_1239.jpg