Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Temp Question???

Options
TOROLNSTND
TOROLNSTND Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I followed elder ward's exasperatingly long-winded recipe for pulled pork. Cooked all nite at 200 deg, fine this morning with pig temp at 117. Came home at lunch time to check still going good, dome temp 200, pig temp 156. PROBLEM: got home at 6:30 dome temp 120, pig temp 146. Dont know if pig ever got to 180 or whattime the temp started dropping (high winds kicked up this afternoon, always seems to interfere with temp). QUESTION: how much damage will I do to the meat if I fire that sucker up to 275 and re-cook the pig???

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    TOROLNSTND,
    Kick up the heat to 250-275*. 200* dome temp is way TOO low to cook with. You will do absolutely no damage to the pig.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    TOROLNSTND,
    Despite what years of old-time Food Science folks have programmed us to think, trichinosis in pork is rarely a problem in the US and Canada these days. In the seminal book On Food and Cooking, Harold McGee did tests on various types and cuts of meat to see at what temperature the fibers began to break down and at what temperatures they tasted best by panel judgement.[p]What he found and recommended was that pork was best when cooked to 150F, not the 180F usually recommended to kill all the trichonids. [p]I cook my pork to 150F on the Polder, and recommend that to friends. It has a very slightly pink interior, but is always tender. It has never failed to get compliments (and no worms yet....)[p]Bob

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    bob,
    He was trying to achieve pulled pork status not roast pork. With a Boston Butt the 195-200* are necessary to achieve pulled pork. You are absolutely correct for safe cooking temps regarding pork.

• Unknown
    Options
    JJ, right on as usual. I think we all have this happen a time or two. Just makes dinner a bit later!
    C~W[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    bob,
    The trichonosis is killed at 138F according to Sara Moulton.
    JimW