Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boboli Pizza Crust- BGE?

Options
director373
director373 Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just saw Boboli vacuum-packed pizza crust in grocery store- looks like it may be a good pre-made crust for trying a pizza in BGE. Anyone every use one of them- good results or should I stay away from?

Thanks to anyone who can offer expertise!

Comments

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    We use them quite often. Just follow the instructions, the egg is a ceramic oven. Use platesetter legs down, and egg feet between ps and Pizza Stone.
    Alot easier than making your own pizza dough, unless you are into that stuff.
  • director373
    Options
    Thank-you for the advice, as luck would have it I also own a set of the feet, so I will be trying this weekend.

Regards,

- Dave
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    they are good and easy, BUT cooking the real deal is much better
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I agree with the above. I have used them and they are not bad, but not nearly as good raw dough that is available in many supermarket bakeries or that you can make yourself :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Reminds me of the quote, "Sex is like pizza, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good".

I use premade crust all the time, I'm sure the homeade stuff is better, but I haven't taking the plunge to make my own yet.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't think even the egg could save a boboli pizza. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggerFromIowa
    Options
    I haven't used Boboli, however, I have used Pillsbury Pizza Dough Classic. Just a convenient thing to not have to make pizza dough and then pizza. I'm sure I'll try someday. :)
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I have to say I agree...the boboli crusts are too thick, too salty, and have a weird, processed taste (to me). But hey, somebody's buying 'em...to each his own.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    They taste a lot like, umm, cardboard? Salted cardboard. That what you meant? :lol:

Bare minimum, buy grocery store "made fresh daily" dough balls in a bag. Or buy a ball of dough from a local pizzeria. But please, no boboli!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I use to use the Boboli premade crust, until I read somewhere that pizza dough is water, flour, yeast, and a little salt. Seemed so easy I thought I'd give it a try and will NEVER buy a Boboli again.

3-7-08013.jpg

Follow the instructions on the bag and you're good to go.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    Did our first egged pizza tonight, used Alton Brown's dough recipe. Cannot imagine any premade dough coming close, it blew us away. I'd think if you enjoy egging, with the additional effort over just turning on the gas, you'd probably enjoy doing your own dough. If you have a stand mixer that's stout, it's not really much effort. Yeah, ya gotta be patient spreading out the dough, but it's really worth it. I've never coveted the bones (crust) the way I did tonight. The Bassett Hound got none, poor thing. I've done my own dough before in oven, and really enjoy NOT using tomato sauce; grill some thick tomato slices with some EVOO and crushed garlic, mash up,. let strain to lose some water, and you get a well distributed garlic flavor. And yes, I need to learn the photobucket deal!