Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter

Egg-N-Tino
Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw this 'gadget' in the National BBQ News publication and was wondering if any EggHeads have used and or seen one yet.? It claims to light charcoal in less than 60 seconds. A MAPP torch nor a Weed Burner is not an option in my home, so I am looking for an alternative. For the last 3+ years, I have used my original BGE heating iron that came with it and it is finally starting to die.

Here is the official name of the product:
Looftlighter Airstream Firestarter

Stay cool all you EggHeads,

Comments

• walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    That thing looks pretty cool!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    you can do a search here - that product has been discussed at length several times and those who use them swear by them.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Thank you for pointing out my Duh!! moment for the day. Did a search and found the threads.

Once again, this forum has proven a great source of information.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    no problem - it's just not a widely used product so I thought you might get more info from looking at past threads.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    It looks like a curling iron. Better watch where you lay it down.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    I have one and need it quite often.

It´s a great tool
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Egg-N-Tino,

I was fortunate enough to get a Looftlighter from my dealer when I recently bought my second egg and a table. I tried it out and it works as advertised. Point it at a spot and within 60 seconds it will be started. Of course, if you want to light more than one spot in the lump, it will take you 60 seconds a pop. Nevertheless, I continue to mostly use my weedburner as it is quicker.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    I have never heard of it but found a couple of interesting comments on Amazon (the only two actually):

"This little novelty is a pretty cool idea, but it's actual use kinda sucks. It lights charcoal perfectly well but will only do one piece at a time. This means you have to stand there and light piece after piece and then somehow stack your new charcoal on top of the ones that are already lit. This is a difficult task when you have several white hot pieces of charcoal roarin' already. I think typical element type lighters work far better. "

"...Two negatives are that it uses a great deal of energy and would cause my house lights to flicker (strain on the electrical system) and the first one I bought died on me after only 12 months of usage. Still, worth the money"
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I had one. It lasted 8 or 9 months. In fact, I investigated becoming a dealer for them. The product is unserviceable. That irritated me and convinced me to drop the investigation. It worked, just not long enough to be worth the steep price.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    I have one and use it everytime I light the egg. Works great. You can get the egg up to temp fast using it. If you can't use a weedburner, this is the next best thing.