Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Smoke wood for smoking Almonds?

BBQ Bob Trudnak
BBQ Bob Trudnak Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What smoke wood do you prefer for smoking almonds and other nuts?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    When I did em, I found the smoke to be really strong.One very small chunk of apple or cherry worked real well....but go easy on the smoke. And while I don't normally use chips, they would probably be good for this job.[p]Just thinkin. Have fun. It is getting to be nut smokin time!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Nature Boy,[p]I've never tried smokin nuts. Was reading one technique for pecans that involved soaking in brine before smoking. Is this the way to go? Also, looks like I'll get a bunch of chestnuts this year if my dogs, the deer & squirrels don't collect them first. Ever tried toing these?

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Nature Boy,
    For almonds, I guess the obvious choice would be hickory, eh?
    Qfan

• BBQfan1,
    I have to agree with you, Mike. I like the hickory for almonds, though I have not tried other woods, and they may be real good also. [p]Brett

• BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    I usually brine my almonds for 4-8 hrs in a heavy kosher salt solution, no rinsing. I have forgotten and left them overnight but they were just a little to salty. Smoke with pecan or hickory at 200f for appx 2 hours in an aluminun pan with plenty of holes poked in the bottom so the smoke can circulate. If you want some kind of extra seasoning coat with canola oil and sprinkle with Swamp Venom, parmesean or any hard grated cheese or your favorite spice. Enjoy.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    katman, when and if you do the chestnuts, make sure to put a slit in each one. didnt do that last year, they explode and make a mess. scary

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    EggMaster,
    i find that nothing compares to plum wood for flavor on almonds...

• fishlessman,[p]Thanks folks![p]I have apple, plum and hickory. Maybe I'll try three batches with different woods and compare.
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    fishlessman,
    Thanks for the slit tip. The wife sees me tending a poppin egg she'll think I'm doing corn and went way over the edge!

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,[p]Smoking my own almonds is something I looked into awhile back and have settled into the following method (see link). This instruction uses Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom, but I usually just use salt.[p]Plum wood is my favorite so far. Hickory is too strong.[p]Any fruit wood is worth trying.[p]Good luck~

[ul][li]Smoked Almonds[/ul]
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    Where does one get different kinds of wood?
    I Have Plenty of Oak and hickory and Mesquite but where can I get Pecan or plum or others at? I will be willing to trade Oak for various other woods too. Thanks.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    David in Spring Hill Fla, The Outdoor Kitchen in Tampa has an excellent collection of chips and chunks. Cherry, pecan, peach, maple, apple, alder....[p]They are on Kennedy, just west of Dale Mabry.[p]Scott

• Boccie,
    some time ago you taught me how to make your style of smoked almonds....thanks sooo much for that! they have become a staple in my diet. i have tried other woods but plum, as you originally suggested is definately the best... thanks again... ranger ray

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    ranger ray,[p]Thanks for the kind words. Im glad this method worked out for you. I havent made almonds in a few months and have been itching for some more. This discussion may prod be back out there and start them up again.[p]Have a good day!