Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Method

Options
FlatEric
FlatEric Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is best method for a Tri Tip. I have a new butcher and he has these all natural and aged. Do I Trex, Sear and Grill or Low and Slow? Thanks for the help..

Comments

• ravnhaus
    Options
    FlatEric,
    Cook it similar to a sirloin. You don't want the low and slow on this cut. Bring the internal temp to about 140° for a medium rare and let rest.

[ul][li]Tri-tip on the Egg[/ul]
  • JeffHughes
    Options
    FlatEric,[p]I just did one last night, 400* direct, about 15 minutes per side to 135* internal for a nice medium rare...[p]Use your favorite dry rub for beef...[p]Slice thin against the grain...[p]Enjoy--Jeff
  • Jeff Hughes,[p]I did a tri-tip last night too. A friend of mine in Phoenix did one the last time I was out there and it really impressed me. You can't hardly find them here in Terrell Texas but I got a local butcher to cut me one. I gave it a good rub with Texas BBQ rub from Houston the day before and cooked it just like you did. It was outstanding![p]Texas is brisket country which I love to cook and eat but I'll sure be doing more of those tri-tip cuts.[p]Best,
    Steve[p][p]

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    FlatEric,[p]A few days ago I did 3 of them. They were rubbed with a local butcher's concoction but I bet you could use your preferred rub.[p]Fire stabilized at 340 degrees and I closed the eye to about 1/4. It was close to 5:30 p.m.[p]5:30 Put the Tri-tips on the regular grill fat side down - I sat the timer for 15 minutes. When the lid was open, the temp dropped to about 225 degrees and slowly began to rise to about 280 degrees. I opened the daisy eye up to about 3/4 open because I wanted a temp of about 350 degrees. ( The bottom vent was still at 3/4".)[p]Temp rose slowly until at the 15 minute flip time it was 350 degrees.[p]I flipped the Tri-tips and set 10 minutes on the timer.[p]After 10 minutes, I placed the 3 Tri-tips on the grill extender with the drip pan between the grill and the grill extender.[p]I sat 1 hour on the timer.[p]6:25 About 40 minutes of cooking time remain. The temp is amazingly (to me) stable at 340 degrees.[p]7:10 The hour cook time is up and it is time to check temps of the Tri-tips. The temp was 330 degrees.[p]7:10 The meat temp of the 3 Tri-tips ranged from 167 degrees to 186 degrees.[p]THE MEAL WAS EXCELLENT