Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheaper Thermaworks meat thermometer

Options
Steelers252006
Steelers252006 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody purchased the cheaper version of the Thermapen made by Thermaworks? It's supposed to get temp in about five seconds, not bad, and cost under $30. Any feedback on it would be appreciated.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    which model number? I'm sitting here looking at their recent catalogue I received Friday. 6 seconds may sound short, but before you buy hold your hand over a searing egg for 6 seconds and that may make a believer out of you!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Phrettbender
    Options
    You can get probes that get temp in a few seconds at any cooking store for about 10-12 bucks. They take a few seconds, not instant (almost) like a Thermapen, but if they have one that is a 5 second for 20 bucks, you can get something cheaper!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Can you provide a link to any of these "few seconds" thermometers? The best I've seen is about 6-8 seconds.
    Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Phrettbender
    Options
    You are the man! I checked my two digital pens and they each take at least 10 secs or so to get to temp. I don't use them allot but thought they were faster! I usually have an internal probe in the meat on my cooks so don't use the pen allot. I have a thermapen splashproof that I use for chicken thighs, but that's about it and they do cost a bit. As a new egg owner I know I'll be using it a bit more since the cooking will be different in most applications. Pizza today turned out great, even on the first try on the egg!

HPIM2125.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Not trying to run down the slower less expensive thermometers but, I just had company over for a few burgers and I seared them using my spider and ci grid. If it was up to me I would not go with any other than the splash proof instant read thermapen. I say that because I seared 14 3/4 pound burgers two at a time 2 min's flip 2 min's check with the thermapen. I didn't check every time but every other time and it's very hot in there to be farting around with a slow reader. For me I don't want to get a cheap one and spend $20 or $30 bucks just to finally bite the bullet and spend another hundred. I say ping Mollyshark and get it over with. Tim
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    One of our best sellers at the store, I think it is the RT600C model.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Options
    I swear by the Comark PDT300. It's not a Thermopen but it's only $18. It's waterproof and has the thin tip for faster response time and smaller hole in the food. It settles in about 4-6 seconds.

http://www.comarkusa.com/product.tpl?product_id=164