Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dealer Fun (minor semi-annual rant)

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Well I put this stuff called lump in the firebox and I made it burn really hot.. -- Here's your sign!!!
  • "only" 200 miles?
    hahaha

i do know smitty the smoker (via the forum, anyway).

you know if i draw a circle around boston with a 200 mile radius, i can gather up a lot of dealers. i'd bet ONE would be stellar too.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Not so fast on being southern and getting great service. Going through the proper channels doesn't automatically mean anything here in the Metro Atl area. I waited three months for my fire box and was charged for my charcoal grate. Can't say they really cared if they gave good customer service. They have my money and just waiting for next guy to come along.
    DMo
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    200 miles is nothing if one can deal with someone who stocks everything, works with every customer and cooks. B)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    200 miles is nothing if one can deal with someone who stocks everything, works with every customer and cooks. B)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Not gonna happen. A 400 mile round trip vs paying Tucker to ship to my door? Not that I've tried that, but isn't that the way it works if I choose to deal direct with Mama?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Thanks, Pat.... I am always willing to service the customers, but I try to take special care of the EggHeads! They are by far the most effective form of advertising that money can buy!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    I've bought 3 Eggs from Smitty and 3 Eggs at the Tucker location. If I had a dealer closer I'd still go with Smitty.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Jeff, I hope you feel better. Got a few of them around these parts. It's a shame to have a store call me and say, hey Molly, got a customer here asking questions. Can I give him your phone #....really
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    you know...we don't all live in areas the size of postage stamps...lol!!!

:woohoo: :lol: :woohoo:
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Yes Pat you are lucky. Dan provides outstanding service. If you remember he did a replacement for me at the Fla Fest last year and I purchased my egg here in Virginia. Great guy, outstanding inventory of accessories and very helpful.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    hahaha
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Some of us do though. I could drive to Stike's house and back and STILL not drive 200 miles. And he's in a different state! hahaha

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I just got to meet Smitty this past weekend. Great guy. I picked up the requirements for CWM ribs. I also signed up for his rib class. :laugh: :woohoo:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    You are good Dan, and your mother is even better LOL wish I had a dealer like you up here in Maine. ours just plain sucks! forget about getting lump after the 4th "the season" is over in Maine! and they stock nothing for accessories. as for eggs last time I was in 2 years ago they had 1 med. they tried to show me this plug in electric smoker. asked a couple of questions and got the blank stare.... that was when they showed me the elc thing. I finally said I have 5 eggs (at that time) why on earth would I want that. So I do not go near now.
    I wonder if part of it is that these things do last.. most people have 1 maybe two and with the warranty to cover they make nothing on parts.. so to stock a full set up if you are not pushing them?? At least with a gasser they KNOW you will be back for burners at least in a year or two and a new one in a couple more as the bottom rots out....about the only thing we buy now is food to stick in it and rubs and sauces.
    Dam has it figured out and has EVERYTHING you need.. and can talk egg too.
  • crzyedna
    crzyedna Posts: 56
    Julie, Thanks for the vote of confidence for both Dan and me. I must be one of the lucky ones to have a son who is a dealer even though he is in Fla. and I'm in Me.
  • crzyedna
    crzyedna Posts: 56
    Thanks, Pat, for the new job title !! It's great working as a hooker, I,m learning a lot from Julie (cooking on the BGE, that is)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Interesting. I'm in Atlanta also, had two charcoal grates replaced, for free. Firebox replaced on the spot with a demo unit. Service has been great.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    You just make sure Julie takes good care of you or Dan will sell her a cracked firebox :ohmy: :laugh: just kidding
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Stike,

We have some great dealers around and then many like you've described. frustrating
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Ron,

When I dropped my base :pinch: my dealer took apart a large and sold me the base. then they patiently waited for a new one to fill the box again.

I'm a damn successful unpaid sales rep...he better :laugh:
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    I have been a BGE dealer for over 3 yrs. The BGE is the only one I sell. Everybody has tried to get me to sell the others, (including my dist) to sell gas or electric, but I refuse. We are different then a lot of dealers although I my be a little higher, But we go out of our way to give the best service we can provide. We do deliver our Eggs if needed be for free within a 15 mile radius. One of my employees has had her bge for 13yrs and helped bring them to the kcmo area 12 yrs ago. I try to keep the most popular warranty items in stock and I do have a extra base and a extra dome for that just in case guy. I do stock a lot of Eggcessories and we just redid our display area for the 4th time this year.
    I am proud to be a BGE dealer and a Egghead.
    I do not always post here, but I visit and read about all the posts everyday. It helps me make my job easier. Our dealership can answer just about any question anybody asks. If my sales people don't know, they give me a call.

I try to cook as often as possible, but that sometimes does not work. In the past month my orders have been taken longer due to supply & demand.

Have a good evening

Larry
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I feel your pain. :angry:
  • how far a drive is it from the boston area?

i know some might take the thread as dealer-bashing. i just am simply saying i wish i had a dealer like you in the area. we do fine with what we have, but it would just be easier you know, if we had a more knowledgeable dealer nearby.

thanks for the comments
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    It just sucks all the fun out of Egging, dealing with slack-jawed, glassy-eyed drones like that. To them, it's just another SKU number in the inventory...he could just as well be selling golf tees or sneakers. If he really knew the Egg, he'd sell many times what he does now.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Molly,
    At least you have a dealer who knows when he/she is in over his/her head. I see that as a positive sign. :)
  • I also bought all my BGE's from Pinch a Penny back in 1996-97 and they have always been stocked and very passionate about them. The founding family of PaP lives here in town and have been friends since I was young. We also have, All About Grill's, Leaders Casual Furniture and Hammerheads Ace Hardware as dealers, about 8 dealers within a 20 mile drive and all seem to be well stocked.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Morro Bay Rich
    I suppose that is Chubby's point. Some states are the size of postage stamps and others you can't drive across in 2 days. I live in one that one could fit a LOT of postage stamps into.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Soon Rich:

With the budget out there as it is...they'll have you hand delivering mail to the Bay Area... you know,if you're going that way...lol!!

PS...Thank you very much for the picture! I appreciate your thinking of me.
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!