Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redwood and Granite

Napamike
Napamike Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hi- thinking about building a table with redwood. Anyone used that before? How did it hold up? I also want to put a granite countertop on the table. Does anyone have any plans for building such a table? I suppose I could just use the standard plans and not put on the long top pieces but thought maybe someone has a better idea? Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike

Comments

• get you plans from the Naked Whiz website. I used granite on my table and have been very pleased with it. Easy to clean up and looks good. Just make sure you build your cart strong enough to handle the granite slab weight. I've had no problems. Go to a granite yard and get a remnant. I lucked out and found a piece that matches my egg. Good luck.
  • Dex
    Dex Posts: 85
    Pilcher Man wrote:
    get you plans from the Naked Whiz website. I used granite on my table and have been very pleased with it. Easy to clean up and looks good. Just make sure you build your cart strong enough to handle the granite slab weight. I've had no problems. Go to a granite yard and get a remnant. I lucked out and found a piece that matches my egg. Good luck.

Pilcher Man - Did you follow the plans exactly for your granite top? Im starting my table today. I was going to use 4x4 for the legs instead of 2x4.
  • Napamike
    Thanks for the lead. Ever seen any comments about using
    redwood instead of pine or cedar?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Redwood will work fine. The cost of it keeps a lot of folks away, especially in the eastern half of the country B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Napamike
    Thanks Capt. If you love cooking with wine, come on out to Napa- there's always a case at our BBQ competitions....
  • Dex
    Napa.... I started my table today. I am using Cedar and will have a granite top. I am following the Naked Whiz instructions. The only thing I changed is I used 4x4 for the legs. As you mentioned, I am just not doing the top, and and I will be using granite instead. Here is what I got done today....

IMG00448.jpg
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Dex, any particular reason for using 4x4 for legs?

I was going to use 4x4 (actual dimension 3.5 x 3.5) so I can use heavy duty casters but just about every caster I've checked comes with a plate at least one side (if not both) over 3.5".

I cut the pieces today but I can still change to 4x4 for legs if I can find the right casters.

BTW, going with Cedar here (Seattle).
  • Dex
    Gadfly wrote:
    Dex, any particular reason for using 4x4 for legs?

I was going to use 4x4 (actual dimension 3.5 x 3.5) so I can use heavy duty casters but just about every caster I've checked comes with a plate at least one side (if not both) over 3.5".

I cut the pieces today but I can still change to 4x4 for legs if I can find the right casters.

BTW, going with Cedar here (Seattle).

I think I did 4x4 for peace of mind more than anything. I will be using a granite top which will weigh 200-250 lbs. and I just wanted to make sure it was as strong as possible with no wobble. Plus I think it looks better :)
  • Napamike
    Dex and all- thanks again for the help. I got the plans and will proceed when I get a minute or two.
    Thanks again.

Mike
  • captd
    captd Posts: 4
    Dex and anyone else with suggestions:
    I too have started my table today but quite different than what you posted. I am winging it as I build. I want my table stationary and also fully enclosed. I am thinking about it being 7 ft long and 27 in wide. I will have 3 drawers and a large cabinet with doors to enclose everything. Any idea why there aren't any of this type posted on the web. All suggestions and advice will be appreciated. Thanks,
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    There is a gallery of tables on The Naked Whiz site, you will find many, many of the type you are interested in. Some folks have very elborate outdoor kitchen setups with multiple built in Eggs, others prefer to stay simple and/or mobile :) Just personal choice :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • E.Redshirt
    E.Redshirt Posts: 18
    Oddly enough, that's exactly what I used for my table- redwood with a granite countertop leftover from my father-in-law's kitchen remodel. I posted my pics here already, a few weeks ago- you should be able to find them if you look. No real plans, I just kind of winged it, but you're welcome to base your table off of mine.