Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey -- Almost a Grilling Disaster

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got the following from my son and thought it was worth sharing...

So I had a grill disaster a couple of days ago that I thought I would pass along as I think it actually makes an interesting sales pitch at the same time.

A couple of days ago I decided to grill a whole turkey breast on the BGE.  I got the grill up to 350 and rolled the breast on to grill for about 2 hours (6:30 pm)  until the internal temp was right.  I went back into the house and proceeded to do some dishes, went back out after 30 minutes, flipped it, and flipped it again after the first hour.  I double checked the vents were where I wanted them each time I went out to keep the temp consistent.

The next morning (7:28 am) I walked downstairs as I was fixing to leave and I noticed the back door was unlocked and slightly ajar.  I immediately wondered if someone had broken in and went to look at the door, and when I looked outside I remembered!  Expecting to see a black brick of what had once been turkey, I first looked to see what the temp was at and surprised to see the grill had only dropped to 200 over the 13 hours.  I opened the grill up and again was surprised to see, not a black brick, but a dark caramel colored turkey breast.  I touched it and it was still surprisingly moist and pliable on top so I took it back into the house for further investigation.  As it turns out, only the very bottom ½ inch was inedible.  The next inch or so was like dry turkey you get on a bad thanksgiving, and the rest was, surprisingly still moist.  I carved out the good parts and have been enjoying turkey sandwiches ever since.

If this had been a gas grill, I believe I would have found two things that morning: 1) an empty bottle of gas, 2) the charred remains of what had once been a turkey.  As it was, it was still mostly edible and I still had plenty of lump for the next attempt!

Comments

• Wild Turkeys
    Options
    lol - this is a great story. Question is. . . what were you drinking?

Turkeys
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    When you sat down to dinner the first night and nothing was there, didn't that clue you in?
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    This was my son -- not me. He was cooking it to have for sandwiches and meals during the week and not for that evening.

It was not planned to be done until 8:30 PM and he got distracted and forgot.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    well, i hope it was good tequila that distracted him.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Too funny! I forgot a pot of purplehull peas on the stove last PM; sadly, they were most inedible by the time I smelled the odd burning odor...
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Options
    I sold a couple of guys some Big Green Eggs one day (Great story actually, one guy came in looking for something unrelated, I ended up selling him an egg. Then he called his buddy to bring a truck to bring it home, and I sold his buddy an Egg too). The next week they came in for some charcoal and I asked about their first cooks. One of the guys had decided to do a turkey. 350 degrees, 12-15 minutes a pound, same as in the oven. Except he got drunk and fell asleep. Told me he got up the next morning, egg was around 300, and turkey looked like toast. But then he cut it open and there was still good meat in there. Said it was dry but made a great turkey soup.