Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LAMB..Never made need help....

Options
bw
bw Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HI

BF has decided he wants to make LAMB on the egg next week for his Bday dinner. His parents are coming over and lamb is his mom's favorite. We have never made this before so I come to you the experts and ask for advice on making LAMB on the egg.

What do I buy, how to cook, seasonings ect....

Please help, and advice is greatly appreciated:)

Bev

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one way I like to do lamb. Rack of lamb ribs will soon be posted by someone You out there LC??

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=626840&catid=1
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    What cut you are using will make a lot of difference. Little tiny chops can easily and quickly be seared like a steak. Whole legs need a nice roasting. Shanks are often braised.

Lamb tends to be quite fatty, and have a strong taste. It goes well with strong flavors and marinades.

My favorite is boned, stuffed leg, preferably crusted with pistachios, or panko/garlic/lemon zest mixture. Done to about 145 internal, but crisped up a bit with higher heat early on.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I think Richard has the Leg of Lamb nailed! That looks awesome! Reelgem posted this recipe for a rack of Lamb. I haven't tried it yet. I don't need to, you can tell it is fantastic.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=866110&catid=1

I love the small chops and have done them a couple ways.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=641942&catid=1

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=862751&catid=1#

The egg was made for Lamb, they are a perfect combination. Looking foreword to seeing your post.

Gator

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    BW,

As others have said, it depends on the cut. Growing up in a Greek family, we eat lamb all the time. Here are a couple of ideas. I start off with my generic leg of lamb recipe which is dead simple to make and comes out great, as well as an Adam Perry Lang Moroccan leg of lamb. I follow with a couple of great recipes for lamb chops done both direct and indirect. I can't find a rack of lamb recipe at the moment, but Gator Bait posted one, so you should be good there. If you're interested in other lamb dishes, just search for lamb on our blog. You'll find 20+ lamb dishes.

To avoid a 3 page post, I've linked to the recipes on our blog. Just click the name over the pics to get there...

Smoked Leg of Lamb
    Roast%20Lamb%201.jpg

Six Hour Moroccan Leg of Lamb
    6a00e5502e1c01883401347fd277ef970c-800wi

Grilled Lamb Chops in While Wine and Lemon
    6a00e5502e1c0188340120a6e4552b970b-800wi

Pomegranate Lamb Chops
    Pomegranate%20Lamb%20Chops%202.jpg

Grilled Lamb Chops with Spicy Pineapple Glaze
    6a00e5502e1c01883401287734cba1970c-800wi

Enjoy!

-John
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    here are some lamb chops i did this past weekend with a little salt and pepper and some simply marvelous sweet and spicy rub (marinated in the refrigerator for about an hour and let them sit out for about an hour to get to room temp.)

they cooked very fast. i'd say a couple minutes on once side and maybe two and a half on the other. they weren't real thick. i was going for mid-rare and wanted to taste the delishousness of the lamb.

1c5c0d4e.jpg

6ed139bc.jpg
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    You have lots of good suggestions. My favorite is boneless leg of lamb. I marinate it in olive oil, a little red wine vinegar, crushed garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary. Then just grill it until rare to medium rare. I'd take it off at 120 but you may prefer it cooked a bit longer. If you are really brave and want to impress folks, cook it directly on the coals. I've done this several times with this cut. It gets a great sear. The coals shake right off. Just make sure you have some long tongs!
    Paul
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Butterfly leg of lamb in Yogurt.
    Get your butcher to remove the bone from the leg. Trim any of the silver membrane inside the leg with a sharp knife, and also remove the lump of suet that is buried inside the meat. Marinate your lamb for as long as possible in natural yogurt, and rosemary or thyme for as long as possible. (i id one for 2 days recently, it was divine).
    Take lamb out of yogurt and put on direct heat, about 350, and turn every 15/20 minutes. It should be cooked in about 40 minutes, and you will have various amounts of doneness with the different thicknesses of the meat. Simple to prepare, easy to cook, delicious to eat. Roger
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Leg of lamb is so easy, I did it in a $9 P. of S. charcoal grill from Wal*Mart in Hilton Head:

Dizzy Hilton Leg of Lamb

dhhl0.jpg
    dhhl9.jpg

On the Egg, a boneless leg of lamb from Sam's is easy peasy. You can open it up and grill it flat with rub on it. You can roast it whole with rub. You can open it up and stuff it with some sauteed spinach, feta cheese and toasted pine nuts, then wrap it back up and roast it. Let of lamb is VERY forgiving. Cook it to an internal temp of 140-150 and it should come out nice and juicy.

Here's a nice rack of lamb recipe:

Macadamia Nut Encrusted Rack of Lamp

macnutlamb1.jpg

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    kabobs are good. i shoot for med/rare, its ruined as it goes past medium which may be a problem depending how she likes it. i used the leg for the kabob meat. first time using rosemary for skewers, helps the presentation

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=246381&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    By now you're probably getting overwhelmed from all the recommendations.

The best smoke for lamb is Grapevine. Smells fantastic!
    Rosemary is necessary on the outside and Mint(if you like it) is excellent when incorporated into the cook.

It's easy to cook a bone-in L.O.L. and it comes out delicious. Cook it like a regular old roast, insert some garlic and strap on some rosemary. Rosemary is great on lamb!IMG_0715.jpg
    cooked at 350 - 400, 20 min/lb. grapevine and lilac smoke. EVOO, Raisin the Steaks and stuffed cloves of garlic into the meat. I learned to tie on the rosemary with butcher's twine after this. Also I use more rosemary now!

Stuffed boneless LOL was great, but a little more prep waa involved. The stuffing I got from a recipe on here somewhere...may have combined a couple. It was basically spinach(frozen that was pre-cooked), feta, garlic and I think mint. Strapped rosemary on the outside. I like mint with lamb and this was the first time I cooked it with lamb-fantastic! the mint flavor infused into the meat nicely.
    IMG_3401.jpg
    This was a 2.5 lb boneless LOL that I cooked at work. Outdoor air temp - 14F. cooked 400, indirect 1:15- 1:20, pulled it off at 125 internal and let it rest for 10 min. much was still rare.
  • bw
    bw Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks you all for the great info. Lots of reading to do and decisions to be made.

Thanks again...Keep it coming:)

Bev