Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why Cook Burgers Using High Heat?

Options
Nitro
Nitro Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm an Egg Newbie, and looking forward to doing some serious cooking. However I thought I'd get used to the Egg with something simple like burgers.

I just cooked my 2nd meal of burgers on the Egg using the (supposedly recommended) high heat method. And I must say I'm not liking this method at all. Overdone and dry both times. Burgers were about 3/4 inch thick. First time, I got the Egg up to 650 deg and put the burgers on 2 mins each side. Then shut it all down for 3 mins. Not good! Too chared and totally dried out. 2nd time, I got Egg up to 550 and put burgers on for 2 mins per side. Shut everything down for 2 mins. Still overdone and dry.

The way I've been cooking burgers on my gasser is preheat to 600 (to get the grate hot), then back it down to 350-400 and put the burgers on. Cook them slow for 5-10 mins per side. The burgers come out perfectly seared, and never dry, even when slightly overcooked.

I just have to ask, why would anyone cook burgers using high heat? It seems way to touchy. Not to mention, I could barely taste any smoke flavor, which is the whole point of cooking over wood. Am I missing something? What are your opinions?

Thanks

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Nitro...All due respect to all prior contributors, I've never cooked a burger above 400* on a med or large.... (on a side note, I am not a smokey food fan)....that said, sometimes the burgers are so smokey/flamed tasting I can't eat them (but the family loves 'em!) . If you want to practically guarantee a smokey burger, use ground chuck. IMO, cook lid open unless you have to close it to stop flame ups.
    You should get bunches more feedback on this. Remember, there are many "correct" ways to cook things on the Egg. You just have to find the method you like best.
    Happy Eggin, and welcome!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Lots....are you talkin frozen patties or fresh ground beef...I cook burgers roughly 1/2 to 3/4 thick on my mini at around 600° 90 seconds per side...finish them off on the large for around 5 minutes at 350 to 400....I / you are grilling a burger NOT smoking it...you can't smoke anything at the temps mentioned..the wood will just merely burn away..I cook high temp burgers to get the "Flame broiled" taste which is what most people are trying to achieve...not sure what you're missing or what you want want..but a burger is about as individual as anything can be..keep trying....you'll be happy when you find the right combo..
  • Nitro
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

FYI, I was using fresh ground chuck. ~80/20

I guess I should explain what I meant by smoke flavor. I didn't mean smoke as in smoking chicken for hours. I meant I slight smoke flavor from cooking over wood. If you don't want smoke flavor you might as well cook on a Gasser. Isn't that the whole point of cooking over wood, which taste different (better) than gas? :)

With all that said... it does make more sense to sear for only 90 mins per side, then transfer to a cooler Egg. However, I only have one Egg. Also, that seems like a lot of trouble to cook a few burgers, IMHO.

Just brainstorming here, but the problem I see with searing first is it takes too long for the Egg to cool down. I have a Large Egg, so maybe that makes a difference.

In any event, I just don't see the advantage to cooking a burger on an Egg using high heat, IF I have a Gasser sitting right next to it, IMHO. Again, unless I'm missing something.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Nitro - I understand! We cook on our large most of the time, burgers included. As I said before, I stabilize the egg at 400* for burgers, and cook dome open except to stop flare ups. Would you consider starting the egg at the lower temp? Just a couple minutes per side, and they are usually perfect! (I had a bunch of flare ups last cook...and they were like the BK Flamebroiled on sterroids... :blink: ) But in general, this method has worked for us. Certainly no need for a second egg (yet) ;)
    You should get more feedback tomorrow as well. Everyone seems to have their own methods, especially with burgers. That is part of the beauty of the egg.
  • Nitro
    Options
    I may try cooking at ~350-400 deg next time, similar to what I do on the Gasser. Hopefully with better results, otherwise I'm gonna hear it from the little lady. She's not exactly empressed with my new toy so far. :ohmy: Little does she know. :laugh:

One thing I forgot to mention is I'm using a Cast Iron grill, upside down. That really charred the burgers too much. Next time I may turn it right side up.

BTW, I don't mean to obsess about cooking methods for burgers. I just never heard of cooking burgers on high heat before I got the Egg. I was just wondering if I'm missing something.

Next thing I'll cook is some steaks. Those should sear up real nice in the Egg. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Nitro... We bought the CI, it was a hubby "have to have"...we used it a couple times, but we are back to the porcelain. We have had great results with porcelain, so we chose not to mess with it.
    Also, risking ticking a WHOLE bunch of people off, I have never really understood the "gotta have 800 degrees for my steak!!" mindset. We do our pizzas at 500-550*, we do steaks with the egg stabilized at 400*, same with our burgers and chicken. I am NOT saying it is the least bit wrong, we just have never understood the "nuke stage" mentality. As I have said about the Egg, that is part of it's beauty. So many "correct" methods, but need to find the right method for YOU, and your family.
    As you said, flip the CI to limit the char. I wish I took a pic of tonights rib eye. I cooked it starting with the egg at 400*....cooked dome open, lower vent shut. It was a beautiful thing!!! Nicley crisp, and med rare! No need for nuclear temps for great results, and IMO that applies to all foods. Don't be at all afraid to back down on temps. ;)
    Wish you the best with this! It will only get better!!
  • Nitro
    Options
    Actually, (guess I'll be ticking people off too) I agree it's not really neccessary to cook steaks at high temps, IF your grate stays hot. Hince the CI grate. On my Gasser, I preheat to 600 deg to get the CI hot. I only cook on high heat for a 1-2 min on each side just to help keep the grate hot. Then I back it off to med. Without the CI grate, I'd have to stay on high for 2-3 mins to get good sear marks.

However, so far I see the Egg can get much hotter than my Gasser, AND takes longer to cool off. Therefore, I can see the CI grate working out good in the Egg, b/c you can cook at lower temps, but still get good sear marks. But this is all theory until I throw on a good steak. Getting hungry already. :)
  • StratoEgg
    StratoEgg Posts: 81
    Options
    Nitro,

I cook my burgers in the 300-400 range with a plate setter. I like the higher temp cooks but the rest of the family likes the smoke and the char wood flavor.

Hope this helps,

Al
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    burgers are a specialized cook, like steaks. Just so many ways to make 'em and eat 'em, you'll need to play some to find your best method.

If the smoke and dryness are hindering your burger enjoyment, may I suggest thinner patties, quicker cooks and just stack 'em on the bun to the desired meat thickness. You can still use the 80/10, 90/10 or similar meat ratios to get your flavor "fat" fix.

You might try this method. Roll 'em out on wax paper, cut with a pizza cutter to size, and cook 'em quick to desired doneness. I use a blackening skillet with this method. The pan cover idea came from a food network show couple years ago, a restaurant in Calfornia did 'em this way with ice cubes thrown under the cover to steam 'em some.

100_0229.jpg

100_0244.jpg

woktopburgers.jpg

cheesedup.jpg

bruger0819072.jpg

Another option you might consider is cook 'em fast low to get your desired char/sear, then raise 'em up to smoke. If flair ups are problem, throw a pan of water under 'em. Again, burger thickenss and meat ratio determines time at each step. Make 'em thin and stack 'em on the bun is always an option to quicker, easier cooks.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I have to say, I totally agree. I am just learning to do cook on the Egg and burgers have been the most challenging. I cooked them last week at 400* 8 minutes a side with an additional 3 minute cook to melt the cheese and assure doneness.

My family loved them. They do not like hardly any char on burgers so these basically had grill marks and very little char but did have the nice charcoal flavor. My previous experiments on burgers resulted in your results.

My only comment on your method is that it might take a bit to get your temp back down to 400. Burgers are a meal of convenience in my book so that might make the meal prep a bit longer than normal. Just a thought.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Nitro - something's amiss here. If I cook 3/4" burgers at 650 for 2 minutes per side and then 3 minutes with the vents shut, I never get dry burgers. I am not using a CI grill however. That may make a difference.

That being said, I seldom cook my burgers that way. I normally cook at around 400 and leave 3-4 minutes on each side and they turn out juicy and well done - just the way my wife likes them.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Have no idea, always cooked mine at 350.
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    I cook mine at 350 and only flip once. Time on each side depends on how done you want your burger. Turn out great every time, but as mentioned I don't see a right or wrong way to do it. It's personal preference
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    that cast iron is part of the problem, it holds too much heat for really high temp cooks, ive backed down on temps when using it for steak searing as it builds char too quickly. most of us have raised grid setups to get the food away from the flames as well which helps if you dont like a heavy char
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've had my Egg for almost 4 years now and I don't think I ever cooked burgers on it until a couple weeks ago. I've cooked all sorts of food on it, but not hamburgers.

Mine came out ovedone and dry, but I think my problem was I was cooking to temp and the temp I was referencing for store-bought hamburger was like 160 or higher. I cooked them again the other day (400) and they came out good. Still a little overdone, but they were still good.

I'm getting the hang of it and want to try again!
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Nitro wrote:
    Actually, (guess I'll be ticking people off too) I agree it's not really neccessary to cook steaks at high temps, IF your grate stays hot. Hince the CI grate. On my Gasser, I preheat to 600 deg to get the CI hot. I only cook on high heat for a 1-2 min on each side just to help keep the grate hot. Then I back it off to med. Without the CI grate, I'd have to stay on high for 2-3 mins to get good sear marks.

However, so far I see the Egg can get much hotter than my Gasser, AND takes longer to cool off. Therefore, I can see the CI grate working out good in the Egg, b/c you can cook at lower temps, but still get good sear marks. But this is all theory until I throw on a good steak. Getting hungry already. :)

NItro, we purchased a "Spider" and a "WooII ring" from Theceramicgrillstore.com. The spider allows one to place a CI grid down into the egg, hovering just above the burning lump. With a dome temp of 350°F-400°F the CI grid will become searing hot, as it is right above the lava, without having to bring the BGE into the nuclear range.
    After searing each side the steaks are removed while the regular cooking grid is placed on top of the WooII ring. The steaks are placed on this grid and finish roasted to the desired doneness at a much lower-than-searing temp. The cook is also much less time sensitive this way. Good luck.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Nitro wrote:
    I may try cooking at ~350-400 deg next time, similar to what I do on the Gasser. Hopefully with better results, otherwise I'm gonna hear it from the little lady. She's not exactly empressed with my new toy so far. :ohmy: Little does she know. :laugh:

One thing I forgot to mention is I'm using a Cast Iron grill, upside down. That really charred the burgers too much. Next time I may turn it right side up.

BTW, I don't mean to obsess about cooking methods for burgers. I just never heard of cooking burgers on high heat before I got the Egg. I was just wondering if I'm missing something.

Next thing I'll cook is some steaks. Those should sear up real nice in the Egg. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Yes - try them at 400° with the pointy side up of the CI grill, I bet you will like the results.

I highly recommend the T-Rex method for steaks.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I read most responses and didn't see this question asked:

Why are you cooking to a time? This seldom works.

Cook to internal temperature. Your burgers are overdone, thus dry.

Personally, I like thinner burgers. With 3/4" thick patties you need to cook them more slowly (i.e. lower temps) to get the inside done without killing the outside. I do patties less than 1/2" thick and blast them at 550-600&deg until the internal temp registers 140 then cover with a slice cheese until it melts (dome open). Then eat.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    its the thermapen, it ruins a good burger.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    I never understood the whole "vents shut for 3 minutes" thing. Does the fire really get significantly lower after 3 minutes of dwell time? And how can one say beforehand that 3 minutes is appropriate? I judge by sight/smell/feel.

I made 80/20 burgers at 650-700 degrees last night. They were great. Here's how long they took:
    I put the burgers on, then went back into the house and sliced an onion and got the cheese slices ready.
    I went back out to the egg and saw that the juices were starting to come through to the top side of the patties, so I flipped them...looked perfect.
    Went back into the house and got the cheese, took it out and put it on the burgers.
    Back into the house, washed the lettuce, got a clean plate.
    Went out to the grill and pulled the burgers. That's how long they took. I have no idea how many minutes it was.

I like my burgers well seared on the outside, still soft and juicy on the outside, and 650, standard grid height works well for me. The only time I get overdone burgers is when I'm too busy inside, and don't pay enough attention. User error.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    hi. welcome.

I haven't read the others' comments, so i may be repeating something. ...and I'm sure they covered the various methods you can use to approach a burger cook.

I would just like to interject that when something is overcooked, it is never the result of a method, the cooker, or anything else other than the fact that it was cooked too long.

that really means, that aside from a three minute egg, nothing should ever be cooked to time.

all time references are rough guides. i have had ribs take anywhere from 5 to 9 hours under what i thought were identical conditions.

this isn't a peculiar issue with the egg, just with cooking in general, and something i had no idea about until i started paying attention when i was cooking. the fact that i didn't pay any attention to what i was cooking until i got an egg made me think for a minute it was the egg, or the advice, or the recipes here that were screwing up my food.

so. take notes, modify methods, and think to yourself what exactly a particular type of cook is trying to do. why is it cooking the way it is... and always take food temps, using dome temps and time estimates as rough guidelines only.

welcom aboard.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    remember too, bob. if you like something you are cooking done to (for example) 160, never ever ever take it off the egg when it is at 160. always needs to come off lower.

(you around? i got nuthing but time for lunch at fred's... )
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    That's exactly what I do with great results! 13" CI on the spider for a quick sear and on to my grid raised on the AR. 400* dome. Comes out perfect for me and my wife! Pull at 120*
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Nitro - I have been experimenting with burgers as well. I am pretty new to eggs as well.

What I prefer - 350 or so, (time depends on thickness or desired stuffing), then toss on plate setter and add a small pan to catch drippings. I use the direct method for slight sear/char marks, then finish off indirect to avoid "hot cooking" and possibly over cooking, etc.

I have also had good luck (though once), and NOT your traditional burger, but getting up about 300/325 dome, using plate setter from the beginning, adding large drip pan, and filling the drip pan with water, creating steam. And you have steamed burgers. I saw this on a TV show, and figured I'd try it out. I did small 4oz (pre-cook) sliders.

Steamed burgers are a little healthier (if that matters) and are super, super juicy, but kind of lack the traditional fire roasted texture. It's different.

I have cooked burgers at 600+, but since I press them by hand, each burger, and each time cooking yields slightly different results. I have gotten far more consistent results cooking slightly lower dome temps, and using the plate setter or a raised cooking grate.
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    I usually cook Bubba Burgers because I really like them and I am lazy. I cook them directly on my medium Egg but with a Woo ring (grill extender) that I use for almost everything now. They typically take about 4:30 a side to come out medium to medium well. I use the "poke test" to check for doneness. Here's a good explainer of what that is:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ahhyes-good point about the take-off-temp! Along those lines something else I have done is to see it closing in on the desired temp, figure it'll be good to take off in a few minutes and then finding out I overestimated and overshot the temp.

I wish I could do Fred's today, but I'm at work in lovely Ayer, Ma.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I do mine similar to Fidel does, but I wait until they are off before adding cheese. I use american singles which require little heat for melting.
    Worth noting is that the higher the heat, the quicker a burger will go from medium to overdone. Sounds obvious but that window is very small at 600deg. None the less, I go around 550-600 becuase I like a bit of an outer crust.
  • ernie
    ernie Posts: 5
    Options
    bugers are great on my small bge. Use small load of lump; acquire 325° dome. Home made burgers are about three quarters thick; put them on for five minutes, then flip them and after about a minute, start checking internal temp. Looking for 140° to 150°. Anything warmer than that dries 'em out. Grease and juice run down your chin when you bite 'em. Yum!
  • ernie
    ernie Posts: 5
    Options
    agree! When I first got my bge large 4 to 5 years ago someone suggested 750° for steaks. Had to replace the gasket and it was only a month old. Now my steaks and pizzs are done at no more than 400° to 500°.