Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stain and/or Sealer for Cedar?

Chemical Eggineer
Chemical Eggineer Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Just finished the frame for my BGE Table. It is loosely based on the plans from The Naked Whiz, but I modified the egg base for more support and fire safety. Before I add the decking, I want to stain and seal the frame. Do the pros out there (or even the amateurs like me) have any suggestions for what stain/sealer to use on Cedar? I have some Minwax Water-based Polycryilic Protective Finish, but I'm not sure if it's rated for use outside. Will that work, or do I need another sealer? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    My opinion, for what it's worth, would be to go with a marine spar varnish. As far as stain, color is up to you, but I would leave it natural. Oil based stain, oil based sealer, Minwax has both.
  • eggdodger
    eggdodger Posts: 1
    I am plannng to use some cedar for my table as well (Newbie egg owner 2-mos). Just finished new deck last fall and used a product called ReadySeal for the cedar posts/rails. Awesome sealer and stain in one, you can choose stain color. Good luck
  • eagin
    eagin Posts: 15
    I'm in the process of building a table out of cedar and have been using the Minwax spar urethane recommended in the Naked Whiz plans... semi-gloss, I believe... I have only done one coat on the frame so far, but it's looking much nicer than I anticipated. I didn't do any staining beforehand and the color looks really good in my opinion.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Like misfit says, go with a marine spar varnish. MinWax has a good one in several finishes. I personally prefer "satin" for more of a furniture look, but they have gloss and semi-gloss also. Since you are still building you can put just one coat on the undersides and support pieces, then at least three coats on the exposed surfaces. Sand between coats. Use 220 grit after the first and 400 after the second. Wipe the surfaces down with a rag dampened in mineral spirits before applying each coat to get rid of all sanding dust. It is a little more work than just a sealer, but you will like the results. In a few years if the top starts looking a little shabby, just sand and re-coat.
    Post pics when you are done :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • CWF (FLOOD) makes an oil type sealer for cedar. I checked their website and couldn't find the exact product I used over 20 years ago. I had a cedar house and applied the oil on the wood, the sun along with the oil turns your cedar back to the original honey color. It lasts 3-4 years on a house so it would probably last longer on a table that is somewhat protected. Check out a dealer in your area, I am sure it is stll available and they can steer you in the right direction. Also it is very easy to apply which gives you more time to cook!!!