Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to do a prime rib on my bge
I have tried once before and it tuned out very bad
to smokey and so tough you couldnt cut it with a chain saw
fed the 40 dollar piece of meat to the dogs
Please can some one give me some pointers on how to do a good one
There is a steak house up the road that serves smoked prime rib and is is realy great best I have ever hadso I know that it can be done
But I certanly do not have it figured out.
Do I marinate or inject? what temp and for how long
please help if you can thanx
Glenn

Comments

• AZ Geoff
    AZ Geoff Posts: 66
    Options
    Glenn,
    I have done a few of them. As I recall, I did them indirect with a drip pan underneath (I put some white wine in the drip pan) I brushed olive oil on it and put some kosher salt on it.
    I don't remember what temp I used but don't overcook it!! Use a polder. I also started with a good piece of meat.
    They have all turned out great! Good Luck!![p]AZ Geoff

• AZ Geoff
    AZ Geoff Posts: 66
    Options
    Glenn,
    The wife says we did at about 350 or so. Takes about 15 minutes per pound. Cook to about 130 for med. rare.[p]AZ Geoff

• UnConundrum
    Options
    Glenn,[p]You're going to find as many ways to do a prime rib as you will a brisket... One of the cooking magazines recently did a test (either Cooks or Cuisine) and came out endorsing my favorite method. Now, bear in mind, they were cooking in a range and not on an egg, but the technique is the same.... Basically season as you like.... let it sit about an hour for the salt to soak in... Pan sear it to get good outside color, and then cook in the egg at 225 - 250 until the desired degree of doneness is reached. I like to pull it at about 125. Wrap it in foil, put it in a cooler, and let it rest for about 20 minutes...[p]Reasoning:
    The sear is for color and the carmelized taste on the outside of the roast.
    The low temps let the meat cook slowly. You don't reach the collagen disolving temperatures, so that doesn't apply, but you do get an even color to the meat, and to my taste, seems to be more tender.
    The rest allows the juices in the meat to redistribute, making for a moister roast.[p]Whichever method you try, happy egging ;)

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    1stBBQGuruBostonButt006.jpg
    <p />Glenn,
    I have done many the latest last Sunday.Start with seasoning, I use sea salt and fresh black and cayenne pepper. I bring the egg up to sear on all sides remove and set up the egg for indrect cooking. I add some oak and peach chips and load the rib in a v rack with a drip pan on the first level. I ahave a second grid that attavhes to the regular.Cook at 325-350 F to desired doneness.Keep in mind it will cook thru about 10-15 degrees after you remove it from the egg. I let it rest for about 15 minuites before carving. A 5.5 boneless took about 2.5 hours last week.The picture shows my indirect setup with a foil tray on the first grid.You never want to smoke your meats with fat. Good luck and have a great meal.

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    Glenn,
    I did the best rib roast ever on the egg. Did take a long time though but worth the effort. Bring roast to room temperature. I rubbed the roast with olive oil and then put seasonings on. Set up the egg indirect with a platesetter. Place the roast in a roasting pan bone side down on a rack. Roast at 250 degrees until temperature reaches 119. Take the roast out of the egg and rest it under foil until the temperature gets to about 130 degrees - in the meantime, fire up the egg to 500 degrees and put the roast back in for 10 minutes to brown the outside. Rest it for 10 more minutes and enjoy. I like my meat medium rare and this came out just perfectly, evenly pink throughout. Most of the time when cooked at 350 the usual way, the roast will develop a brown rim at the periphery and then be pink just in the middle. Took about 2.5 - 3 hours total time for a 4.5 lb. roast.[p]The only problem with this method in my opinion is getting the egg fired up again to 500 degrees after it has been roasting at 250 degrees. I might just finish it in the oven at 500 next time to avoid the hassles of bringing the temperature back up in a short period of time.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    LuvMyEgg,
    You should have no problem getting the egg up to 500* after a 3 hour cook. Make sure you've got a full load of fresh lump and you'll be fine. I did a pork butt for 16 hours, opened the vents and brought it up to 750* to sear a couple of steaks to show a friend how well this thing cooks. He bought one shortly thereafter!

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    Shelby,
    I will try more lump next time and heat the oven up as an alternative in case of failure. I want to get the temp up to 500 degress within about 10 - 15 minutes max. If I wait too long, then the meat will start cooling off. Last time I used one of those baloon pumps to pump air into the bottom vent. Still took longer then I would have liked. Thanks for the suggestion.