Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Temperature?

KB
KB Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to cook some pork belly slices this weekend. I plan to marinate them in soy sauce and lime juice, as I saw in an Asian recipe on Youtube. My question concerns the temperature for the egg. Should I use high or low heat? Direct or indirect?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I dont know the answer to your temp question(maybe LC will chime in, I think sh'es still on), but I like the sound of this cook.
    I would prob go indirect with a drip pan due to fat content.
    Good luck and take pics please.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    KB...Do you have the you tube link? I would love to know exactly what effect you are after. Some do it crispy, some do it more like a braise. What are you targeting for as an end result?
  • KB
    here's the link. I'm not sure what I hope to achieve. I have a recipe for a British version but I would prefer a recipe from SE Asia. This link is for Inihaw na liempo, a Philippine delicacy. I'm willing to experiment and I will have some time this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKf_hJUT2Cc
  • Little Chef
    OK...I am hungry now. :laugh: In all honesty, I would do it exactly the way he did in the video, at least for your first try. Remember though, with most Vietnamese, Korean or Phillipine meats...they like their meat on the "toothy" side. (Most Americans would call it tough....I happen to love it their way, when cooking their way.) That belly was cooked direct, over med heat by the looks of it, and it certainly wasn't cooked to "fall apart tender" stage, like a braised belly would be. IMO, cook direct over mid temp....300-350'ish, until you get the nice glaze like he did. I wouldn't worry about an internal temp, as long as you hit 137* (150 might be a decent target...). Go more for the glaze, and then enjoy the play of texture with the meat. Remember, this is not going to be fall apart tender....it is going to be toothy! Embrace the different culture, and try it their way. You can make modifications from there to your preference.
    IMO...for this cook....Direct, 300-350ish, until nicely glazed. Close the dome if flare ups start, but it shouldn't be so bad at these temps.
    Not to be long winded, but I reiterate....this is not going to be like pulled pork. But it is still going to be rich and delicious, with a great play on texture. A total pork fat thing! JMO.
    Enjoy...and I will probably doing this cook this weekend!! Totally looks awesome to me, but I am a total fan of all asian styles.
    Wish you the best, and happy eggin! :)
  • KB
    Thanks. Let's compare notes later. I'll post some photos and let you know how it turns out.
  • Little Chef
    Please do!!! Will be anxious to see your cook. :)