Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LInseed oil to protect Egg table?

Options
MAP
MAP Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Our dealer recommends using linseed oil to protect our brand new table. 2 painters and the salesman at Home Depot recommended against using any oil because they felt it would attract mold since we live on the marsh.

Have any of you used linseed oil? What else could we use to protect the table? polyurethane???

Thanks, Mary Ann

Comments

• E.Redshirt
    E.Redshirt Posts: 18
    Options
    I take any advice from people at Home Depot with a heavy dose of salt, since they've frequently given me completely wrong information, and in at least one case, dangerous advice ("You don't need a current tester- just touch the wire with your fingers to see if it's live. 120v won't kill you.")

However, in this case, they're right- linseed oil can promote mildew. Here's a report from the Department of Agriculture on wood finishing. Your best bet is a water-repellant finish. Some contain fungicides that will also help prevent mildew. You may want to reapply it more frequently than once a year if you're seeing severe conditions. Someone else might recommend a specific brand- I'm not in your area and can't vouch for any particular product.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I used linseed oil on my table for the first couple of seasons. I had to reapply it frequently.

I switched to a marine based varnish (super spar) that protects against water and UV. I applied about 5 coats and it looks as good today as it did the day I applied it.

Michael
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I like to use Watco Teak Oil, wipe on and re-apply as needed. Water is the enemy of all wood so keep your table protected-not sitting on a damp patio but up on wheels or spacers if no wheels and covered out of the rain. When the wood is kept dry your table should last many, many years.