Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice

Gadfly
Gadfly Posts: 121
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
First post:
I bought a large egg a couple of weeks ago and I have been trying to build a table for it. Here in northwest I didn't have that many choices for hard wood but I finally decided to go with Red Oak even though it was twice as expensive. For legs I couldn't find any 2x4 Red Oak so I had to go with Cedar. I am using NakedWhiz table plans.

The problem is what they sell as 1x4 is really .75" x 3.5". Adjusting the measurements to account for difference was no problem. But I am concerned if .75"x3.5" (red oak) is really strong enough. In particular it seems to me there would be a lot of pressure on the lower frame, front and back beams, right were the cross beam (left side of the box holding the egg) connects to the front and back beams. Should I be concerned? Should I screw two .75x3.5 together and use them as one? Just in case you have not seen the NakedWhiz table plans, the frames are 55x24.

Thanks in advance.

Sleepless in Kirkland, WA

Comments

• SmokinFizx
    SmokinFizx Posts: 29
    For safety sake I'd sturdy up the beams. Instead of screwing them together though, I'd place three, equally spaced, beams under the egg (if I remember right, the plans call for two beams). If you screw them together you increase the chance of moisture getting caught between them and decreasing the life of the beam.
  • E.Redshirt
    E.Redshirt Posts: 18
    You may want to use both screws and an exterior construction adhesive, which should work to keep moisture out of the joints. I'd go with the additional crossbrace as well.
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Thanks guys. I think adding another 55" beam in the middle should do it. (I am not worried about the "short" beams).

But after reading some old posts about the kind of wood suitable for an outdoor table, I am not sure if I want to go with red oak any more. I have not cut anything yet so I think I am going to return them back to Low and get cedar instead(maybe from a lumber yard). If I do, I think I will make the frames from 2x4 (actually 1.5"x3.5") and then I should be ok with the current plans.
  • The link below will take you to a calulator that will tell you how much "sag" you will get with a certain load. I think with a couple cross braces you should be good as the span of the "deck" will be cut down dramatically (12" or so). The weight will also be spread over 1.5" of 3.5" wood which is quite strong.

sagulator
  • all 1x4s are really 3/4 by 3-1/2. if the whiz's plan calls for a 1x4, then yours will work.

little known and arcane bit of info... if it is written as 1x4 (with no 'inch' marks, and pronounced "one by four"), then it is the nominal size. which means they call it a 1x4, but it's smaller in each dimension by about a quarter inch because it has been surface on all four sides (an 1/8th or so taken off each side).

if it says 1" x 4" (with the inch marks, which is pronounced "1 inch by four inches"), then it really IS 1 inch by four inches.

if his plans show a 1x4, then 1x4 red oak is certainly strong enough
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I used red oak for my table. It is housing an xl and large with two 100 lb pavers under the eggs. There are some pictures of it in the forum.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney