Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How important is the distributor

Options
GregM
GregM Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have decided to buy a large egg. The forum has been a huge help in reaching the decision, particularly seeing how easy it will be to get guidance.

Along those lines, how important is it to have a "good" distributor? We have a couple of local places that sell the egg, but none keep items in stock nor is the egg a primary product for them. I would have liked to find a place that had accessories I could see and people I could learn from. Also, they don't seem to do any package deals (but maybe it is because I have never been good at bargaining).

The closest I can come locally is a "home goods" store that mostly sells yard care stuff, some gourmet food and cookware etc. It is a strange mix, but they are nice people who seem to focus on quality. They demo cook on the egg a few times a year, but it is not a BBQ based place. Should I look further from home? Or just get it locally and rely on you guys for all of the extra knowledge?

I am in Ann Arbor, MI in case anyone has a distributor in the general area they like.

Comments

• Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    i bought mine from casual living and outdoor fireplace store... they were the most knowledgeable when i asked some questions... some other Egger's on this site have gone there too... though they are in Raleigh, so it's a bit of a drive for you... i basically called all the local places that sold them and asked questions... and just ask them "do you have a package sale for the Egg?" Mine did... delivery and set up was awesome (I'm lazy, let them build it for $60 and then carry it 2 flights of stairs). Hope this helps you out. Happy 4th Egging!
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Hi Greg,
    The home goods store sounds like a good place to do buiness with since they focus on quality. You can learn alot from here. One of my favorite sites about the egg is www.nakedwhiz.com don't worry about the name the name is a spoof of Jamie Oliver "The naked chef". Let me know if I can offer any advice.

Best regards, Pharmeggist
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    You will learn more from here than most retailers. And that is sad. If you have warranty issues, close is better. Ask for other customer comments.

Mike
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Georges does a good job, I bought mine form Zabors in Grand Rapids, they seemed little more Knowledgable and had a better deal.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• safetyman
    safetyman Posts: 80
    Options
    I live in St. Clair and got mine from Bourlier's in Clinton Twp., he had the best price. The accessories, I got from other places, even the lump. Make sure you purchase from an authorised dealer, for warranty reasons. I was just down to the mothership, due to moving my son home after graduating from college. I bought some BGE lump there, due to quanity pricing and got 30 bags of RO from Wallmart. Good lump is hard to find, here in Michigan, at a good price.
  • Magnus Viridis Ovum
    Options
    We're in Grand Haven - a bit of a haul for you. We stock all the sizes, parts and accessories.

I offer cooking classes a few days a week in the summer - mostly using the Big Green Egg.

http://www.realcoolstore.com