Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many butts on a Large?

kybowhunter
kybowhunter Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any ideas on how to smoke 2 or more butts on a large BGE?

Comments

• BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    I've seen a picture on this forum where somebody did a home-made 2-level arrangement (using nuts & bolts) and fit 4 butts on their large. They had 2 per grid.

I would think that you could fit 2 side-by-side on your large. They might start out touching, but after some shrinkage, no worries.

Don
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    How big is each butt? Two shouldn't be a problem at all.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    With the right hardware you can fit 6 in a large, I've done 4 on one grid. What kind of bow do you use, my neighbor owns PSE?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC00536a-1.jpg

It all depends on what size they are and if you want to stack another grate in the Egg. The ones above are around 8 or 9 pounds, so two fit easily on the grate.

These below are in the 4 or 5 pound range.

DSC07067a.jpg

These are most likely 6 pounders

DSC06400JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    ive never cooked more than 2 ;) theres two 8 pound flats and there as well

2005010904.jpg

2005012055.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    Here are 4 8lb butts on a single grid. -RP

IMG_0405Small.jpg
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Thats pretty neat, AZRP. I don't do a lot of bow hunting anymore, but I use a PSE.
  • AZRP
    He is a good guy, I've cooked butts for some of their corporate get togethers and he let me fly his Eurocopter. -RP
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Hi RP,

Just out of curosity how long did you smoke those 4 butts for? I'm thinking of doing 2 8.5lbs for a party on Saturday starting at 3pm. Just need to know a time frame. Thanks.

Stef in Brunswick,Oh.
  • AZRP
    As I recall the 4 took close to 20 hours at 250 dome. -RP
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    RP,

The only reason I ask is because the last time I did a 6lbs pork butt following the naked whiz setup and I smoked it at 250 for 14 hrs. So following that mindset I would need 28 hrs for 2 8.5lbs. What did I do wrong?

Stef
  • AZRP
    Multiple butts only take a little bit longer than a single one just because there is more cold meat to warm up. -RP
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    I've put three butts on the grate and the put a smaller grate and another butt or two on that. I've done about 45 lbs at one time.

c1c912a6.jpg
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I have done (on a couple of occasions) 5 8lb butts at one time in a large on a single grill. I put three on bottom and twp on top. The last time I did it, I actually had 5 EGGs going with 40 lbs on each. I put the meat on at 6PM at 240 and did not open it again until 7AM the next morning. The meat started coming off at 9AM with a few pieces hanging in there until noon. (15-18 hours). Time should be based on the size of the individual pieces. Mine were pretty uniform in size and the location of the laggards (those that took 18 hours) was random. In some cases it was one of the bottom pieces and in others it was on top. In some cases all 5 of the pieces on a grill were done at the same time while in others there may have been two pieces that took longer.
  • bcrawfo2
    bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
    These were all in the 8 pound range.
    DSC_8976.jpg
    I'd done two butts before, but this was my first try at four. I ran out of lump. Don't be scared....fill it up.
    My cook time was right around 15-16 hours.

As long as you don't have them touching (much) the cook will take the same amount of time. If you group them tightly, it'll act like a bigger piece of meat.
  • Thanks for the all the ideas - I have 5 butts to smoke on Friday :)

AZRP - I currently shoot a Mathews. You ever get to put any elk meat on the BGE?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    68 pounds for my sons hs graduation. 3 on the bottom and two on top. Took 24 hours. My longest cook on the large.

graduationcookandsomemore008.jpg

graduationcookandsomemore.jpg

graduationcookandsomemore013.jpg

Full load of lump and she didn't waver on the temp the whole time.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • This is amazing... I didn't realize so much meat would fit on one egg... Looking forward to my next cookout now!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July