Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Finney idea for the dinner

Steelers252006
Steelers252006 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I am going to cook some steaks. I am going to get the grill sustained at 250 for and throw in a hickory chunk (would this be good with beef) and throw the steaks in for an hour or so. Then I will get the grill good and hot and sear each side, about 90 seconds on each side, for some char. Does this sound like the right approach, or would others modify this appoach a bit? Thank you.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i have never tried this methoud.. but i bet it would work ;)

try it and take some pictures ;) and then let us know

i personally don't lke hickory.. i use mostly cherry

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Give it a shot. Jack Daniels chips are great for steaks.

Mike
  • Will hickory work as it is all I got for now?
  • Didn't know if this was what you were after. But it sounded similar to your plans.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/xertsteak.htm
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I guess I am the desenter here, of course I don't know how you like your steaks, but an hour or so at 400? Then sear? Sounds to me like burnt meat!
    I like my steak Rare to medium rare and I have read most of the methods on here, hot tubbing, t-rexing, etc, and I'm sure they all work, but I guess I'm just lazy, or a traditionalist, or something, but that all seems unnecessary to me. I marinate my meat in "Dale's Sauce" for about 30 min, get a good fire going, 550-600, salt and pepper my steak [although I am a big fan of DP's Raising the Steaks], put the critter on for 4min/side, and eat. Been doing it this way for a whole lotta years, cheap charcoal grill , expensive gasser, built in steel things you find in parks and campgrounds, open fires in the woods, and now my Egg, it always works! :laugh:
    just my 2cts ;)
    And oh yeah, The propane bottle grill that clamps to thr railing on my boat :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Yes, same concep but I was thinking lower and slower, then hot!! I spoke to somebody on another site who uses a barrel cooker to slow smoke steaks very low, then sears at the end (Finney Method), and it looks real nice. I was wondering if anyone else with any experience cooking this way could chime in. I think some cheaper cuts at first would be wise, however, just in case!! :laugh:
  • Sorry if I said 400. 250 for an hour with a hickory chunk (all I got), then sear after.
  • I'm more of a seer and roast guy but your plan should work. I would lose the hickory (just go with the lump smoke) and cook to temp on the low portion, not time. Slow roll it till about 115 then seer at high temp about 60 seconds a side. That should give about medium rare.
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Here is inf from another site.

The concept of a reverse sear (as it was presented on the show by a guest BBQ competitor named Chris Finney) is that instead of searing a steak immediately when it is put on the grill (usually at 500 degrees +), you would start out grilling at 250 degrees or so until the internal temp of the steak reaches 100 degrees. You would then remove the steak from the grill and let it rest on a plate tented with foil and then turn your grill up to the raging inferno setting and wait a few minutes for it to get up to searing temperature. During this time, the steak will actually cool a bit and the juices will redistribute through the meat. Once the grill is as hot as possible, throw your steak back on and sear both sides to get that tasty crust. Simple as that.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    That's it in a nutshell. It works.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • I've never heard of Finney but a guy I work with introduced me to a similar concept. He uses searing heat the whole time but only leaves the steaks on for about 45 seconds per side letting them rest after each flip for several minutes. He contnues this until he gets to medium rare. Works well, the grill reheats while the meat equalizes and you get an awesome sear on a med rare steak. I've been toying with the idea of smoking then searing, but I'll start by lighting from the lump from the top and doing the lowest temp Possible smoke for maybe 30 min, then pulling the meat, light from the bottom and use the above method to finish it up when the heat is raging.