Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pesto stuffed naan

Options
KB
KB Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today when I fired up the egg to cook my weekly pizzas, I planned to cook some naan to take advantage of the hot egg and the pizza stone. The recipe was a variant of the one in Wood-Fired Cooking by Mary Karlin. The yogurt dough is stuffed with a blend of cilantro mint and cashews. The book describes stuffing the naan, but a Youtube video helped me to pull it off without a problem the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAes6vlfN-E&playnext_from=TL&videos=eovE7OYzjXs

Here it is cooking on the egg; temperature about 550 deg (I prefer this to higher temperatures):

AA%20Naan%20cooking%20on%20the%20egg.jpg

Here is the finished product:

AA%20stuffed%20Naan%2001.jpg

and here is the inside (from one without a lot of stuffing):

AA%20Naan%20showing%20stuffing.jpg

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    KB sounds like a good combination for naan. Thanks for sharing. Nice pics.
  • KB
    Options
    thanks. I became more efficient with a single load of charcoal in my BGE, but now I have another problem. It tasted pretty good, but I can't eat everything I cooked. I plan to give some to my neighbor.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    dumb question, what is a naan??
  • KB
    Options
    a leavened bread baked in a clay oven in India; usually shaped like a teardrop. It's the yogurt, Indian spices, and the clay oven that make it unique. I baked a fusion version with the pesto-style stuffing. I like an unstuffed naan with kalonji seeds added for flavor. The BGE mimics some of the characteristics of the tandoori clay ovens used in India to make these breads.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    KB,
    Those look great! I just picked up that book from the library.So Cool ,I did the Tandoori Chicken( see post) from that book this weekend.
    I'm going to have to get that book for my library.
    I 'm with you on eating all we cook.Our freezer is full of "cooked" egg food.But there are so many recipes to try on the egg and so little time. :laugh: ;) :woohoo:
  • KB
    Options
    it's a great book. The photography is excellent and she introduces lots of ideas, but not all of them are egg-able. I'm fine with that, though.