Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tigerwood for table?

BuffaloBrewer
BuffaloBrewer Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Got my large egg saturday, so now it's time to build it a table! I was checking out some of the local lumber suppliers websites and came across some Tigerwood that looked like a good material for a table and about 1/2 way down the page was a bge table made out of it. Anybody have any experience with tigerwood (aka Goncalo Alves)? The table is just past 1/2 down the page http://www.advantagelumber.com/tigerwood_decking.htm
(not associated, etc...) I would have just posted the pic but couldn't get the address off the website.

thanks

Comments

• I have a preference for Teak, Cedar and Redwood for outdoor items (woodworker for 20 years) - but honestly anything will hold up with enough maintenance. I'm curious what that deck would look like in 5 years....
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I am totally unfamiliar with "tigerwood", but looking at the suppliers website it is very interesting and I am sure it would make a beautiful Egg table, well the picture proved that already ;)
    Here are my concerns:
    It is expensive [but you only go around once, so what the hey!]
    It is apparently very hard. This means it can be hard to work with and require a craftsman with good skills.
    It also means you will need top quality tools to do the job. Your $39.95 Black&Decker circular saw will be smoked before lunch.
    Bottom line is if you are not a woodworker with considerable experience and top quality tools I would stay away from exotic materials.
    If you are in the south, cypress is the wood of choice, it is soft, works easily and will absolutedly last forever. Redwood is a good choice on the west coast for the same reasons, and there are a variety of cedars available all over the country. I would advise you to check with local lumber yards [not big box stores]to
    see what is available in your area. Stay away from treated pine decking material.
    Good luck, I hope this helps :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • just spent just short of $900 on the egg/eggcesories so what's a couple hundred for some wood? :)

I should be pretty well stocked for tools, table saw, miter saw station, routers-table (all with carbide blades. bits), drill press, lots of clamps, usual assortment of portable power tools. Planned on using pocket holes/screws to hold it all together after test to make sure the wood doesn't split. Haven't made pilot holes with the kreg jig yet, but haven't used wood that hard (oak about the hardest). They say the kreg screws are self tapping, but wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Still have not figured out the easiest way to make the round hole. Was thinking using a jig saw to rough the hole in, and a jig on the router table to make a pattern out of 1/4" plywood, clamping that to the table top, and routing it out.
  • Capt Frank
    Sounds like you have the tools and experience for the job, so go for it. Should be a beautiful table.
    I cut my egg hole with a plunge router and a commercially available circle jig [I got mine from Rockler for about $40]. I cut all the way through each piece except the center one that tha guide was mounted on, took it almost through, then finished that with a jig saw. Chucked up a roundover bit and dressed the edge.
    Be sure to post pics as your table progresses and of course the finished product.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Thanks for the tip Capt. Sounds like a good way do cut the hole. I didn't think about partially routing the center board. I figure finishing the center off with a flush cut bit should work well. Probably going to be an independence weekend job.
  • Capt Frank
    You are welcome, by the way, welcome to the forum, I hope you become a regular.
    There are a few of us on here that have some knowledge of woodworking and we field all sorts of questions from those who don't. I have learned and continue to learn many things about the fine art of Bar-B-Que and smoking, and I enjoy being able to give back a little with what I know about woodworking and finishes. Hopefully you will enjoy it also :cheer:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Keep in mind that the Tiger wood is about 2x the density of Oak. You will want to take very small bites at a time with the router. I would probably use a jig saw, and plan on using 2-3 blades to make a nice cut. Stuff is like a rock.

Then finish the edge with a router.
  • Capt Frank
    Good Tip, I am totally unfamiliar with Tigerwood, do you think small cuts, 1/4" or less with a plunge router would be OK? Just curious :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    It's miserable to work with. 1/4 may even be too much. The bit will dull fast and then things would get pretty hot and rowdy. Taking the edges off with a 1/4 round isn't too bad, but plunging is another story.

But when your finally done, it's all worth it, beautiful stuff. Although it must be oiled about every year to keep the same deep colors. If not, it will turn a very light grey.
  • Thanks for you insights on the tigerwood. I hope to pick up the wood next week and build it over the july 4th weekend. It will be interesting to see just how hard this stuff is. I don't think I'll be handplaning the surface of this wood!

Mike
  • Capt Frank
    Now I really hope you will keep us posted w/pics :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL