Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean BBQ, celebrating one year of marriage!

Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Its been one amazing year in my life. I got married to a great girl, bought my first home, and of course my first egg. The wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary by going up to Philly, staying in a nice hotel and enjoying the city. We came back to DC yesterday and every restaurant was booked for Father's Day. So I decided to go check out this Korean supermarket in Fairfax and I'm glad I did. Ended up doing Korean Chicken wings and Kalbi (Short Ribs).

First some anniversary pics.

The wife in front of Indenpence Hall.
IMG00184-20100619-1651.jpg

The Fanatic( I meant Phanatic!!)!!
IMG00188-20100619-2018.jpg

On to the cook.

Chicken wings covered with flour and corn starch in the deep fryer. First 10 minute cook at 350.
IMG00191-20100620-1839.jpg

Looking good, resting for 2 minutes here. Then going back in for another 10 minutes at 350. This is where they get uber crispy.
IMG00192-20100620-1849.jpg

The wing sauce, Korean and Japanese influenced. All the ingredients are in the pic, notice the fresh garlic in the pan. (This is pic from a previous cook, same sauce was used for this one.)
IMG00144-20100612-1845.jpg

At the end of the second 10 minute cook, 20 minutes in the deep fryer at 350 in total (rest for 2 minutes n between each 10 minute cook), so crispy.
IMG00193-20100620-1902.jpg

Sauce applied, already eating. Notice how they aren't messy, sauce passes right through skin since its not thick. Great flavor, great crunch. Korean Bon Chon wings rule!
IMG00194-20100620-1905.jpg

Time to light the egg. Warning do not drink and torch at the same time.
IMG00067-20100620-1856.jpg

Kalbi, beef short ribs, marinaded in Monju Kalbi Marinade. Specifically made for short ribs, usually only found at korean markets.
IMG00195-20100620-1908.jpg

You have to have some tortillas for the short ribs. Korean tacos!!
IMG00198-20100620-1932.jpg

That was all that was left after dinner. Grilled corn and Kalbi were a hit.
IMG00199-20100620-1959.jpg

All I can say is that there is a reason restaurants in DC are known simply as Korean BBQ joints. You have to love the sauces, the cuts of meat and the flavor. Great weekend, cook and anniversary.

MP

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    If you are close to a Trader Joe's they have the Korean Beef in their meat section near their tri-tip. We tried it and it is very good.
  • Mud Pig
    Its a great relatively inexpensive cut of beef. Has amazing fat marbling throughout so it comes out beautifully over charcoal.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great post. Happy anniversary to the both of you. Tim ;)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    happy Anniversary!!
    good looking cook, would you mind giving me the recipie for your sauce, I'm also a fan of Korean beef. thanks
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Nice post and Congrats on the one year.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Looks excellent MP, and a lot like we cook around here, with my better half being Asian. I'm only a couple minutes from the markets in Fairfax. Next time you are in the area, gimme a yell.

Congrats on your anniversary!
    Chris

PS, my first ever cook on the egg over 10 years ago was those korean short ribs! Yours look excellent.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mud Pig
    Sure thing, here is both the marinade for the Kalbi and the wing sauce.

Kalbi Marinade: (you can also simply buy Monju Kalbi Marinade at a Korean Supermarket, its amazing)
    1 1/2 cups soy sauce
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup sesame oil
    5 cloves of garlic, minced
    1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
    3 large green onions, cut into small pieces
    2 tbl toasted sesame seeds
    1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
    Marinates 4-6 pounds of Korean short-ribs

Wing Sauce:
    3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, sauteed in olive oil. Then add to frying pan:
    1/2 cup of soy sauce
    4 tablespoons of Mirin (Japanese Rice Vinegar)
    2 tablesponds of Apple Cider Vinegar
    2 tablespoons of brown sugar
    Hot sauce of choice to heat leave of choice.

Heat all ingredients to boil and shut it down. Keep it watery. Add to chicken when done.
  • Mud Pig
    H-Mart over in Merrifield is amazing. I'll definitely keep you informed on my next Asia inspired BBQ.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Great looking cook, happy anniversary! -RP
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Mud Pig!!
    Look, I would never try to embarrass anyone by correcting their spelling, but so as to help you avoid seeming too much like a tourist before the Philadelphia sports fans, the mascot is the Phanatic...with a Ph as in "Ph"-iladelphia!! :lol: Congratulations on you anniversary! Interesting cook and nice pics.
    Brian
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Congrats on the one year. Food looks good, I have to try those wings.

Mike
  • Mud Pig
    You Philly fans are a crazy bunch!! I stand corrected, Phanatic!! :)
  • Mud Pig
    My friends swear by them. They always tell me that I need to open up my own chicken wing restaurant when I bring these out. They really are insane. The flavor of the sauce is good, but couple that with the crunchy texture of the double fried wings and you get something really amazing.
  • Car Wash Mike
    I have a small party to cater Saturday nite, do they reheat well? How would you suggest?

Mike
  • Mud Pig
    I would say that in order to store them for later use I would leave the sauce off after frying. Make sure you pat them dry so no oil remains on them. When you are ready to serve heat up the sauce to a boil and then throw them on the wings. Bear in mind that I've never done that before. The only time I re-heated these wings after finishing them with sauce is in an oven at 400 degrees.

I would do a test cook on the wings, throw them in the fridge after double frying them. Then try and reheat the next day, you may lose a little of the crunch unless you can re-heat them in an oven or on a grill to crisp them up.
  • Car Wash Mike
    I have an oven available and egg, I am cooking this on site. But want stuff precooked. Then reheat. Beggers can't be chosers, this is for brownie points not a lot of money. :)
    thx

Mike
  • texasAUtiger
    texasAUtiger Posts: 154
    MP,

Congrats on the first year!

Thanks for sharing the pics, method, and recipe for the marinade/sauce. I definitely want to try it.

BTW, I have been looking at one of those Waring Pro Fryers. How do you like yours?
  • Congratulations and Happy anniversary. I believe those short ribs are now the next thing I will cook on the BGE... yum
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    If I go to the supermarket, do I just ask for beef short ribs. gotta try that cook.
  • McPhreak
    McPhreak Posts: 42
    I've seen them displayed as "flanken cut" or "L.A. style" short ribs. As long as you tell the butcher you want your short ribs cut to about 1/2" thickness or so, you should be fine. Otherwise, you might end up with a more traditional English style short rib which is much thicker.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Mud Pig, another awesome cook! :) Korean is one my favorite BBQ's.

Congratulations!
  • Mud Pig
    I bet if you fried them ahead of time and then reheated indirectly at 250 degrees on the egg that they would be great. Might actually give them a little smoke flavor. I would definitely add the sauce, prepared of course, on site will reheating them on the grill.
  • Nice - happy anniversary
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    thank you, looking forward to trying it
  • Nice post. It looks like you had a nice time, and a great dinner. Thanks for the pics and descriptive post.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Mud Pig wrote:
    H-Mart over in Merrifield is amazing. I'll definitely keep you informed on my next Asia inspired BBQ.

Absolutely my favorite store ever.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I bought the wrong stuff. I got Korean BBQ Sauce. I will try to find the other stuff today. If I do is that all I use? I assume the other ingredients are to make it myself and not add to the ready made. How long do you marinade and what is the time and temp for cooking?