Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No More Royal Oak at Wally World

skyhopsing
skyhopsing Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just made a run to the local WW, only to find out they no longer carry Royal Oak.

I can't seem to rationalize the price of the BGE charcoal. Any one have in intel on

mail order? Is it worth the price? Shipping et all? Or am I just stuck with Cowboy

from Lowes?

Thanks in Advance

Bob

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    That's a pretty general statement - did someone knowledgeable at WM tell you that as a statement about WM? At least in the past some stores carry it and others don't. We have 3 WM in our nearby town and 2 carry it and the 3rd can't even spell it - I believe it's stocked based on clientele meaning previous sales history!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • There is an Ace Hardware near me that sells the Frontier USA in addition to BGE and Cowboy, I was going to try that when the Royal Oak runs out. Just going by what TNW says, call around.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Where are you?? There are different sources in different parts of the country. Some one in your area can probably help! B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • skyhopsing
    I am in West Palm Beach, I guess I will call around tomorrow. Can you say death by PHONE TREE!
  • skyhopsing
    I am in West Palm Beach, I guess I will call around tomorrow. Can you say death by PHONE TREE!
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    You need to talk to the manager. I did. at my local WM they did not have RO asked if he could get (1) week later they got it in stock :laugh: some times you have to get a little bitchey
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Publix private lable lump called Greenwise is Royal Oak. I don't know if you have a Publix Food Store in your area. Tim
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nothing wrong with Cowboy. Any other bbq/outdoorpatio joints near you?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    I was at Wally world today and they had the shelves full of everything BUT RO LUMP!! I just thought they were out but thought it was strange there was NONE. The only other brand I can find where I live is Frontier Brand which I dislike with a passion. It pops all the time and everything gets covered with the dust. Time will tell if it is true or not.

john
  • Beernuts
    Beernuts Posts: 71
    the publix greenwise brand is very good
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    I doubt that... Walmart will carry something if even one person wants it... they'll sell you anything. There is a special on CNBC a while back that showed how they manage their inventory... if one store isn't selling enough and another store is selling a bunch, they'll ship it across the country just to sell it... Even went into how strawberry pop tarts are sent to any Walmart within a certain radius of a storm that is about to hit to get every extra sale they can.... hmmm.. makes me think... Pop tarts on the Egg.......i digress...

anyways... just ask to talk to a manager about getting it and I'm willing to bet you'll have it back in stock within the week... (then buy 2 bags just in case :laugh: )
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Every time I see this thread I run out and get two more bags of RO at WW. I'm running out of room... :silly: :silly:
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Through my wonderful readings on this forum, I discovered that a food store chain called Crest Fine Foods (at least in Oklahoma) carries Ozark Oak brand lump. When I bought my egg that was the brand my dealer carried in addition to BGE. The BGE was 24.95 for a 20 lb bag (yikes!) and the Ozark was 9.95 for 10 lbs. (not so bad yikes...) but at the Crest stores Ozark Oak is on sale for a low everyday price of 4.78 per 10 lb. bag!!! That's a super score in my books!

I bought 10 bags last trip! So just check around your local stores and don't be afraid to ask the management.
    Good Luck!
  • I like the Publix Greenwise too, $5.99 a bag and last week they had it buy one get one free!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Darn Faith that was a great deal. I always miss the deals. Tim :)
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    That stinks, try to call up some distributors of some major name brand lump. Your bound to find something close and cheap. I'm lucky to have access to Royal Oak, Fire King and Full Circle lump. Wish I was closer to a retailer for Ozark Oak but can't complain too much.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Do you have a HEB w/central market near you?

I've been using HEB/Central Market lump for a few weeks now... $11 for 20 pounds, compared to $25 for BGE lump. And the best park? More smoke flavor, not as many rocks (yes, I found several ROCKS in two different bags of BGE lump), and more "big" pieces! For me it's a no brainer.
  • skyhopsing
    Thanks for the posts. I am close to Publix so I will try the greenwise. Hate that I missed the buy one get one free. I will also try some restaurant supply stores also.
  • skyhopsing
    Thanks for the posts. I am close to Publix so I will try the greenwise. Hate that I missed the buy one get one free. I will also try some restaurant supply stores also.
  • smoker22
    smoker22 Posts: 12
    Wal Mart still carrys Royal Oak..your wal mart can too if they want to stock it
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I would first raise heck with Wally World's main office. Second I would call Royal Oak, ask for customer service and find out where you can get their lump in your area. The number should be (678) 461 3200. I have called them before and they were very nice. Royal Oak also makes Kroger and Publix in house brands.

Good luck,

Gator

• EGGs N@
    EGGs N@ Posts: 50
    Does Royal Oak only came in 10 lb bags at Walmart? I have not seen 20's in my area
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Rezen,

Yea, I saw that at CM but did not try. Are you using the Mesquite or plain? Have you tried the Mesquite? May grab a back on way home (with a ribeye or two) just to give it a go.

Thanks,

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Dust9000
    Dust9000 Posts: 26
    In houston, I have just been using the Academy B&B brand (out of Hondo?) They have Mesquite and Oak Char. Don't use the Mesquite Char.- Mesquite is only good for Fajitas using wood vs char.
  • I pick mine up at Menard's. if you have one of those nearby, you might try looking there.