Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long do you wait until you put your meats on?

Options
Kroger
Kroger Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you have to wait until you don't see any visible smoke coming out of the chimney?

Do you put your smoking wood on while you are getting the fire going, or do you wait until the charcoal is nice and settled?

Thanks!

Comments

• Forrest
    Forrest Posts: 2
    Options
    It partly depends on the fuel for me, generally 30 to 45 minutes from the moment I light it. I want the heat to soak into the ceramic and the visible smoke to diminish. I generally add smoking wood just prior to adding meat if I am doing a low and slow cook.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    It depends some on what you are cooking but getting the egg up to temp and stable is step one. 30 to 45 minutes will give you a clean burn, as Forrest said. If you are doing a low and slow with a plate setter you can add smoking wood mixed in with the lump so that it burns at different times. Then bring the egg to temp, usually 250°F Dome and get it stable, for at least thirty minutes even an hour on a long cook is not excessive.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Smell the exhaust, you will know when it is ready.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,839
    Options
    dont time it, go by smell, if it smells bad wait
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    Most of the discussion here on waiting for the temp to settle has been geared towards waiting for the VOCs to burn off of the charcoal. This is a semi-religious discussion, however, since some folks use the "minion" method of burning their lump during slow cooks where the outer charcoal does not even become ignited until well into the cook. This tact is at odds with having a concern with the VOCs burning off!

There is another reason to get the egg up to temp before you put the food on, however. One of the chief advantages of the ceramic grills is that they hold heat and use very little fuel, hence requiring much less air draft over time to cook the food. The tendency for food to dry out is far less in a kamado-style grill for this reason. Keep in mind that when you are trying to get the egg up to temperature, this is the time when your dampers are opened the *most*, and you have the most air flow. If you are concerned about your food drying out, you should endeavor to optimize your process so that the dampers are as closed as possible for most of the cook.

Don
  • Kroger
    Kroger Posts: 22
    Options
    I guess that's where I get confused. I started smoking on a WSM, and use the minion method for my low and slow cooks.

So when doing a low and slow, the anti minion method.. is it lighting all the charcoal, getting all the VOC's out, and then bringing the temps down to stabilize in the 225-250 range?
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    the VOCs are gasses. in this case "volatile" doesn't necessarily mean they can igniote, but that they readily become gas. they are quick to evaporate.

just because the fuel is unlit doesn't mean its VOCs can't be driven off (by the heat in the cooker) as well as carried away by the draft.

the VOCs don't hang around waiting to be burnt off, they can be carried off on the draft.

open a fresh bag of lump. there is a faint petrochemical smell. that's mostly VOCs.

you could pour the lump on the ground and it would air out all by itself. heat accelerates this, and the fact that there's a draft in the egg helps too.

another consideration is that unburnt lump is in contact with 1200 degree lump when it lights. this is already an efficient fire, and there's no sooty smoke when the new lump starts. just as a candle wick burns continuously, so does new lump burn when ignited by adjacent lump. a candle doesn't start each section of wick with a smokey fire until the 'new' wick is fully ignited.

VOCs are gasses. they are volatile in the sense of the word that they readily become gaseous. "volatile" is often used to mean "flammable", but that's not always the case, and the fact that lump VOCs are also flammable doesn't mean that is what "volatile" means in this case. it means they readily vaporize, and are easily carried off.

by the time your "new" lump atches fire in a low-and-slow, the VOCs are long gone. driven off even more by the heat, and carried out on the draft
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    no

light. stabilize, add the food.

there are no VOCs in any amount to worry about by the time the fire is stable. you can smell the VOCs in the exhaust. if the smoke smells like petro-fuel, let it clear some more. if it smells good, it will taste good.

taste is mostly smell. smoke which smells good generally means "tastes good" too
  • smoker62
    smoker62 Posts: 80
    Options
    Great answer , I was wondering about the continued self igniting charcoal and vocs during the low and slows as well. I like this explanation.

stripstike wrote:
    the VOCs are gasses. in this case "volatile" doesn't necessarily mean they can igniote, but that they readily become gas. they are quick to evaporate.

just because the fuel is unlit doesn't mean its VOCs can't be driven off (by the heat in the cooker) as well as carried away by the draft.

the VOCs don't hang around waiting to be burnt off, they can be carried off on the draft.

open a fresh bag of lump. there is a faint petrochemical smell. that's mostly VOCs.

you could pour the lump on the ground and it would air out all by itself. heat accelerates this, and the fact that there's a draft in the egg helps too.

another consideration is that unburnt lump is in contact with 1200 degree lump when it lights. this is already an efficient fire, and there's no sooty smoke when the new lump starts. just as a candle wick burns continuously, so does new lump burn when ignited by adjacent lump. a candle doesn't start each section of wick with a smokey fire until the 'new' wick is fully ignited.

VOCs are gasses. they are volatile in the sense of the word that they readily become gaseous. "volatile" is often used to mean "flammable", but that's not always the case, and the fact that lump VOCs are also flammable doesn't mean that is what "volatile" means in this case. it means they readily vaporize, and are easily carried off.

by the time your "new" lump atches fire in a low-and-slow, the VOCs are long gone. driven off even more by the heat, and carried out on the draft
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I'd always wondered this myself. I think I finally understand the logic. Thanks!

Freddie
    League City, TX