Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RE: pizza sticking to stone (NOT burnt!)

FLbobecu
FLbobecu Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first round of personal size pizza's today. I only used what was in the house, which was cooking oil flour and wax paper.

I do not have burnt crusts, but the crust is sticking to the stone, and a small amount of the crust is stuck to the stone and it makes it a little hard to eat the toppings since there isn't much crust.

I have heard of people using parchment paper. I read wax paper has a lower melting point and people advise not using it - so I didn't.

I tried just a tiny bit of flour, and it stuck pretty hard. I then tried a bit more flour and it came off very easy but tasted somewhat dry from the excess flour that was stuck to the crust.

I'm just wondering what you folks use so the crust doesn't stick. I never made pizza before, and I must say the pizza was rather good. Just hoping to improve so the dough/crust doesn't stick to the stone.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    I put the crust on the pizza stone for a few minutes (with out the toppings) on parchment paper. Once that has cooked some then I load it up with the sauce and toppings and stick it on the pizza stone with out the parchment paper. That seems to work for me. If I don't make the dough then I buy a premade crust and I put that directly on the pizza stone with out parchment paper. Usually just the dough sticks on me, so if it is doughy then use parchment paper. Good luck!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    FLbobecu, if your crust is sticking to the stone, it could be that your dough is too wet and/or that the stone isn't hot enough. Try coarse ground cornmeal instead of flour, it'll work better & most of it will remain on the stone after you remove the pie so you won't have that problem you had with the flour. Click on this link & give this dough a try, it is a very basic, simple dough that you can bake the day you make it. Good luck, Marc

th_IMG_2497.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    I have never seen a pizza dought that didn't have yeast in it. :(
  • kilts
    kilts Posts: 30
    I use brown rice flour on the stone & the peel .
    The pizza stone should be pre heated min 30 min. 450 to 500 deg F
    You can dress the pizza on ( parchment paper & brown rice flour )
    The parchment can be removed after the pizza sets up about 4 min.
    enjoy
  • FLbobecu
    Thanks guys.

The stone is preheated. I am guessing it was too wet, because the flour I put down, was sticking to the crust and not the stone.

I'll start there, and see where it leads me next time I do them. I'll also pick up some parchment paper too, just in case.

Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks! :)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Corn meal... simple.
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    I think it has more to do with the dough consistency than whether or not your using cornmeal or anything else under it. Cornmeal (or my perfernce, semolina) is typically only used to slide the dough off of a peel onto the stone. Once its on the stone, it doesn't serve much purpose anymore.

What sort of dough are you using? Store-bought, scratch, from a box? I've seen some boxed mixes that create a very sticky dough, that's intended to be pressed into a greased sheet pan and baked. I would imagine this sort of dough could be problematic if you put it directly on a stone.

__Jason
  • mikenmar
    mikenmar Posts: 32
    Hey Kilts, is that a vintage SG/Les Paul?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Straight corn meal works great, just put some on the stone. My personal preference is parchment paper.
    I shape the dough on the parchment, build the pizza, trim the parchment around the pie, slide my peel under, then slide it all off onto the stone and cook the whole thing, parchment and all. This works really well for me B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Sounds like either your dough is too wet or your pizza stone isn't hot enough. What temp are you using and how long did you let the stone preheat. It should be at least 30 minutes. You don't have to use anything to keep pizza dough from sticking to the stone.
    The Naked Whiz
  • FLbobecu
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    Sounds like either your dough is too wet or your pizza stone isn't hot enough. What temp are you using and how long did you let the stone preheat. It should be at least 30 minutes. You don't have to use anything to keep pizza dough from sticking to the stone.

I was cooking 575ish. Stone wasn't on there for 30min, probably half that.

I was using a 8.5" stone - figured 15min may be enough for the smaller stone. Would you agree, or recommend 30min regardless of size of stone?