Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why do you inject v brine (or vice versa)?

Options
baychilla
baychilla Posts: 387
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried brining before and for moistness I've been pleased by the results. Flavor wise however I'm not certain the brine brought anything to the party. I'm curious to know why people brine rather than inject (or inject rather than brine) and if the type of meat and cooking method play any part in this decision. Thanks.
Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Most times I am happy with the flavor of the meat. I may marinate, but I don't brine.

The only thing I inject are whole hogs.
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    Options
    Perry Lang has a discussion of this topic in the book titled "serious BBQ."
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I inject all my chickens with creole butter.

Mike
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Brining and injecting (or even marinating) aren't necessarily mutually exclusive approaches to preparing meat.

Brining, at least from my understanding, is using a salt based solution to change the protein structure of the meat, allowing it to preserve moisture while cooking.

Injecting doesn't do this. It injects herbs, spices, flavors, or liquids into the meat directly, avoiding the brining and/or marinating process altogether, which results in a completely different variable into the cooking equation. Not only does injected meat not have the "brining barrier", it isn't "pre-tenderized" as proper marinades are oft to do. I say "pre-tenderized" in quotes, because marinades don't really tenderize meat at all, they pull a trick play which makes it seem like the meat is tenderized.

Marinades are acid based solutions, which "break down" the surface of the meat being marinated, allowing flavors from the marinade to substitute the liquid lost during the marination process.

This next part is just theory, and since I have never tried and don't have any education on this particular matter, it may just be food for thought. hah!

I think a combination of some or all of these techniques may make for interesting results.

Brining forces the meat to retain juiciness while cooking.

Marinades break down the outer walls of meats, allowing flavors to penetrate the meat whilst substituting water lost during the marination process, and also yield a seemingly more tender texture.

Injection artificially increases the amount of liquid and flavor inside a cut of meat.

So who's up for brining something, marinating it, and also injecting it? Hah, probably overkill. But fun stuff to think about :D