Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fish tacos

Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking at all the pics of fish tacos, I was hoping you guys would share a recipe or two. What's your favorite fish, seasoning, and toppings? Maybe a green or red chile sauce? I've had them out but this will be my first attempt at home.
Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Here is how I do them. -RP

Fish Tacos

Sauce

½ cup milk
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 cloves garlic
    ¼ cup cilantro packed
    ½ tsp chipotle powder (use chili powder if you can’t find this)
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp pepper

Put ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

Fish

All purpose flour
    Beer
    Cod fish fillets
    Small flour tortillas
    Crumbled queso fresco cheese
    Finely shredded cabbage
    Limes
    Salt & pepper
    Oil for frying

In a bowl whisk the beer, flour, salt, and pepper into the consistency of a slightly thin pancake batter. Let batter sit 30 minutes. Cut the fillets into 1”-1 ½” bite sized chunks and add to the batter. Heat oil to 350 and using tongs drop the chunks in one at a time to prevent them from sticking together. Work in small batches to keep from cooling off the oil. Fry until golden and remove to paper towels, sprinkle with salt while still hot. To assemble the taco, set several chunks of fish across the center of the tortilla, cover with cheese and cabbage. Spoon on some sauce and squeeze on some lime juice. Fold the sides of the tortilla up into the taco shape and enjoy.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Funny you should mention fish tacos, that's probably what Spring Hen and I are having tonight at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Theirs aren't great but they are pretty good, and the $2.00 happy hour margaritas more than makes up for the difference.

If you're cooking 'em at home, AZRP's recipe looks great and will soon be on the menu here at the Chicken Ranch.

Spring "Happy Time During Happy Hour" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    Funny you should mention fish tacos, that's probably what Spring Hen and I are having tonight at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Theirs aren't great but they are pretty good, and the $2.00 happy hour margaritas more than makes up for the difference.

Which restaurant is this? I'll eat shoe leather tacos if I can wash them down with 2 dollar margaritas :)

UKMatt
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Las Cascadas on Cypresswood at I-45. I think they have another one somewhere.

The margaritas are cheaply made but really very good. The regular price is only $3.00.

Oh yea, the food is good too. We join our neighbors there every Wednesday afternoon.

If you are in the neighborhood, come on by. I'll be wearing my Spring Chicken cap with the lights and most likely in the bar.

Spring "Just This Far From A Margarita" Chicken
  • UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    Las Cascadas on Cypresswood at I-45. I think they have another one somewhere.

The margaritas are cheaply made but really very good. The regular price is only $3.00.

Oh yea, the food is good too.

We'll have to try that out - I love cheap margaritas and mexican food!

Spring Chicken wrote:
    We join our neighbors there every Wednesday afternoon.

If you are in the neighborhood, come on by. I'll be wearing my Spring Chicken cap with the lights and most likely in the bar.

Thanks - we won't be able to make it today but we'll definitely be interested in giving it a try another time.

UKMatt
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    i pretty much use the same sauce AZRP uses but use 1/2c yogurt and 1/2c mayo. i will have to try milk next time.
  • AZRP's sound great. Here's some I made that my family loved:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=727578&catid=1#

Let us know which ones you make and post some pictures, we love pictures!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Take pictures, we like pictures!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC05858JPGa.jpg

Mine are kind like a mix between a Tex-mex fish taco, and a Rubio's fish taco. The fish is cooked on the Egg, via a tweaked Naked Whiz method. Details are in the recipe section of my site.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery