Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

peoria eggfest

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so whos going what are you cooking, does anyone know the details of the day, i plan on going, it seems like a short cooking day 8-3? oh well we get to cook and eat all day. any after gatherings anyone know about?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Well, this will be our 8th one which as far as eggfests go around the country make ours a senior amongst them - so please don't think that just because it's small it's a back yard cook! Not sure about the final count this year but last year there were 21 BGE's producing multiple foods. It's free which is unusual whereas several eggfests charge $10 to $25 and more and you all you get is some bottled water and get to eat. All of us donate the food we cook, though we are rewarded with a 20# bag of GOOD lump. I know for a fact that we have folks coming from Chicago, St. Louis, the Quad Cities and other points in IL besides.

Please look me up - I'll be there at least by 7:30 as I have a breakfast casserole I want to get going and then a cake and then Georgia Red Wings and then pork burgers to die for, then mini Reubens and maybe a surprise or two in between!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blindmelon
    blindmelon Posts: 31
    Options
    well this will be my first, my daughter age 4 will be there and we are coming from st louis bringing about 5-10 people with us. i am doing a lot of cooking, i will start out at 730am as well with new orleans bread pudding, followed by a turkey wraped bell pepper, then about 6 tenderloins, then move into a secret family catetori dish that only the egg can deliever like my grandpa did 60 years ago, then a dutch oven crawfish etouffee and then maybe one more batch of the catetori, i am so excited, i have waited for months to attend this one and it is the only that i have signed up for that did not cancel. hope to learn a ton and have fun, i am bringing a tent to shade from this scorching sun.
  • RRP
    Options
    I meant to add - at least 3 eggers are camping out there the night before so as to do some overnight cooks, but as for a before party or after party the answer is no - that's not in the works - but if you know ANYTHING about Peoria there really isn't a need to think you'll be bored Saturday night if you plan to stay over and come looking for "action"!
  • RRP
    Options
    The tent idea is a good one! Rain or shine we'll have a GREAT time!
  • blindmelon
    blindmelon Posts: 31
    Options
    oh i can't wait, i am most likely bringing way too much food but they told me i can use an egg all day so that will be great, i am nervous but excited it should be fun i just can't wait to learn more and maybe just maybe someone can learn something from me, i doubt it but it would make it seem so worth it to help sell someone on the egg like i was sold. i will be there if it snows i don't care we are allready packed!!!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Ron are you organizing a Big Al's after party? :woohoo:

Wow, would that be a trip :laugh:
    Never been there, just heard stories
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Options
    LOL - no Brandon, August will mark our 44th wedding anniversary so I think a trip to Big Al's is out of the question! :woohoo:
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    We'll be there! Not cooking, just eating. The list of cooks is already making me drool...georgia red wings and crawfish etouffee?! Yum. See you in a few short days.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I should be getting there closer to lunch and will be cooking nothing but the finest cheap brats and burgers money can buy! Sorry but I am spending my cash on a small and until Big Al's hires me back as a featured dancer I will not be able to afford to Peoria's finest their usually meals of lobster and caviar :evil:
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    I'll be there along with my brother Mark. We have 2 eggs reserved to cook on and the menu seems to be up in the air still at this point.
    See ya there!
  • Central IL Egger
    Options
    You cannot beat a turkey breast on the egg, so I'll be doing that for sure. Steve and I need to put our heads together soon so we can come up with the rest of our menu... Washington has the Cherry Fest this weekend, so between setting up our company's booth there,a golf outing Friday, and hosting an open house Sunday I've got "a lot on the plate" for the weekend.
  • Smoke Diver
    Options
    I will be there between 8:00 and 8:30. Will be doing smoked almonds, grilled pineapple and mystery poppers. The mystery poppers may included breakfast poppers, cookie dough poppers, peanut butter poppers, cornbread poppers, bbq chicken or beef poppers and cheese/sausage poppers. I will be heading out of town shortly for a business trip and if I can get back in town early enough on Friday evening I will try to prepare the gyros, but it is not looking good.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver
  • RRP
    Options
    so does mean "Marc the Menace" will be left in Washington to man the WRC booth? The way he drives he could run to Peoria in between shifts and still have time to spare! :laugh:
  • RRP
    Options
    Another first for the Peoria Eggfest will be a friend of mine named Janis who will be the first female egger at our event. In the past there have been husband and wife teams, but Janis is the egger in her family so it will be solo for her. She's doing some bread which will also be a first and I know she has a couple other items to WOW us with as well.
    You GO Girl!!!
  • Marc  from IL
    Marc from IL Posts: 499
    Options
    I will be sneaking up to Wisconsin for some cheese. Oh and some fishing
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Yep, we are still on for the "overnighter campout" at the store! Brisket, Pastrami, Pulled pork, a fatty or two, and pulled beef are in the works ! If any eggheads feel like stopping by around 6 pm or after we plan to be there!

If the weather looks to bad there may be a pre party at my house but that is not the plan at this time.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    I don't suppose you've got an HDTV and a service that gets the VS channel in that camper, do you? The game is on Friday night. ;)

Can't wait to try the goods on Saturday, though. Sounds like you'll have quite a spread. How many eggs will you have running overnight, cooking up all that meat?
  • RRP
    Options
    yo, Ben...made the LaBomba purchase yet? Anxious, hungry down state folks wondering! :laugh:
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    0530001741.jpg

No TV in the camper. Beer yes, VS no.
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    it's a fantastic event, low-key, free and worth the trip. come as early as you want, they'll be people there before the sun comes up.

Tim