Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool down

Options
Kincaid
Kincaid Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hi everyone.
Just purchased an egg this weekend. One question I have is how long does it take for my egg to cool off enough to put the cover back on? Seems like a couple of hours after I shut both vents off. Is this normal? or should it be a shorter time span?

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    About two hours is it. That is a lot of ceramic mass to cool.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Put those two hours to good use and cook something for dessert! Not technically a violation of the first law of thermodynamics but for all practical purposes it is!
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Options
    Depends on how long you cooked and what temp you cooked at. Two hours is about average. I have one of the heavy duty BGE Vented Table Covers and most of the time I would throw it on a lot sooner than two hours and never had a problem. Of course the egg is fine uncovered, I would leave mine uncovered a lot, with the cover still over most of the table to protect accessories.
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    last night after cooking pizza at 375 I decided to take some "measurements" while the egg cooled off.

It was a nice sunny evening in Iowa at 83 degrees.

finished cooking at 7:00. Put top cap on, closed bottom vents.
    Temps are using the BGE therm.
    Used Royal Oak Steakhouse Lump

7:21 400 degrees
    7:41 315 degrees
    8:00 280 degrees
    8:20 240 degrees
    8:50 200 degrees
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    2 hrs seems low to me, though I never really paid that much attention. The manufacturer of my cover (the cover store) said I could put it on when I could comfortably place my hand of the egg. Which is why I never use the cover.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome to the forum I hardly every use a cover. Don't forget to post pics please.

Patti
    Wichita, KS