Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Brisket Questions

Options
Harris Buck
Harris Buck Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have a 9.75 lb going right now. We have the fat side up. Should we leave this side up the entire cook or flip at some point?

Also, if we inject some juice does it hurt if we do it mid-cook?

Last question -- I'm guessing 10-12 hours total including rest? Keeping the temp at 225-250 the entire time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• winemaker ron
    Options
    I did a 12.5# packer yesterday fat up for 3hr then down for the rest. It took 12 hr to get to 200 with a dome of +- 250 . I put it on at 5am I used my AR with the oval stone / drip pan and raised grid. Kept the drip pan wet with some home brew and a spritzing of apple/ vinigar now and then. come out tender and moist.
  • Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    If you are worried, always can wrap in heavy duty Saran Wrap after about 8 hours. I have done 5-6 #'s the Dr BBQ way and did not have a problem 20o degrees(meat) after 6 hours. As far as the fat goes, everybody has their own opinion. I like to do fat side down for about an1hour or so, then fat side up 3 hours. Wrapped in foil the rest of the way.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you're going to inject it mid-cook I would suggest you wait until the brisket is at least 170-175&deg internal before you do so. And make sure whatever you inject is heated to at least the temp of the brisket. Don't go putting cold liquid into your brisket.

And might I be sold bold as to suggest you inject with some melted butter that has a little rub mixed in with it? Trust me when I say this is not a bad idea.