Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure Cooked Ribs - 2nd Attempt

civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After some good advice, I cooked ribs again pressure cooked 15 min at 15 psi then finished 10 mins a side on the egg. Once again they were VERY good. Next attempt I will only cook 5 min a side on the egg on a raised grid, direct, at 375 dome temp.

I can't stress how good they turned out and hope others will try this method and offer their comments. From fridg to table in 45 minutes, I would go against any other method known.

Comments

• SLOandSteady
    SLOandSteady Posts: 210
    Sounds like you are on to something good. Which pressure cooker are you using?
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Really?! :blink: Do they get any smoke flavor?
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Maybe you should boil them 1st! :silly: :evil:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Does smoke ring votes count? :) There are a lot of ways, glad you enjoyed them.
    Mike
  • civil eggineer
    It's a Fagor 6 Qt. which sides are tall enough for the ribs sitting on a trivet. I stuffed 2 racks in it by rolling them up and tying with a string since I had guests over.
  • civil eggineer
    They do pick up smoke flavor for the short time they are in the egg. I threw 3 chunks of hickory on top of the coals before I placed the ribs in and had alot of smoke coming out of the egg. I doubt they are as smokey as if I had them in the egg for 5 hours but there was a nice smokey taste.
  • civil eggineer
    Hey now place nice! I think the steam environment does a lot less damage at removing the flavor from the pork compared to boiling.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Do you release the pressure after 15 minutes or let it come down on its own? Baby backs, or regular? Thanks!
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    I do country ribs(bone in thick slices of the butt)all the time in the pressure cooker and then finish on the egg. They are some damn good eats done inside of an hour on week nights after work.
  • CWM,

i like to leave them at room temp for an hour, then hot tub for an hour, then paint on some tenderquick for an hour, then microwave for 15 minutes, then sauce and put on the BGE for an hour. my ribs only take four hours and fifteen minutes this way instead of five. ;)
  • civil eggineer
    My first cook I released the pressure immediately. This cook I gradually released the pressure over 5 minutes. I really couldn't tell any difference.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    And they are only in the danger zone for 3 hours. :)

Mike
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    I'm assuming you use rub pre BGE per standard practice? Does it produce the same crust/texture as the long cooks?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    stripstike wrote:
    CWM,

i like to leave them at room temp for an hour, then hot tub for an hour, then paint on some tenderquick for an hour, then microwave for 15 minutes, then sauce and put on the BGE for an hour. my ribs only take four hours and fifteen minutes this way instead of five. ;)

What about the mayonnaise, don't tell me you've abandoned that??
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    [..
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • civil eggineer
    Very little rub...salt, peper, and Tony Chech???. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to cooking meat believing it is the flavor of the meat that needs to shine through rather than any rub applied to it. I normally never apply BBQ sauce during cooking ribs but do so at the table if I want some. I was also trying to evaluate the meat without anything that would cover the flavor up.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tim,

I was just going to ping you about these. I just got back from the store with ribs and dug out the pressure cooker. 15 minutes in the PC and then on the grill? How much liquid in the cooker (if any)?
    Thanks

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• great. thanks, thirdeye. there's a reason it USED TO BE called my 'secret' recipe.

real good.

sheesh.
    at least you didn't spill the beans and say just how much mayo i inject.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Too damn funny man!!!! :lol:
  • civil eggineer
    I sauted about 1/4 Cup onion and carrots in buttom of PC untill translucent then 1 tsp chopped garlic for a minute or two before adding 1 Cup of beef broth. Don't know if that actualled added anything though. Never cook dry in a pressure cooker!!!

I then put on a raised grid on the egg hovering around 375 dome temp with hickory chunks thrown on right before the meat. About 5 min. per side until they are done.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Thanks Man!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I gotta try this! It can't be any worse than any ribs I have ever cooked. Mine have historically been, well, let's just say less than stellar. And spending THAT long for ribs that are ho-hum is getting old.

I have a 4.5 qt PC that looks like it will hold a rack of BBs. Since lots of folks seem to brush on apple juice or maybe AJ and vinegar when doing ribs on the egg, maybe I'll just pour a cup of that into the PC and try it.

Tim, you mentioned 15 mins @ 15 PSI. My PC says it's .9kg/sq cm. If my calculations are correct, that's only 12.8 lbs/sq in so maybe 18 minutes would work. We'll see.

Wonder what would happen if I added rub before I put the ribs in the PC. Prob'ly wouldn't hurt. Or maybe I should wait until I throw them on the egg to finish. Or maybe both? :)

I WILL try this. I'm tired of waiting 4-5-6 hours for mediocre ribs. Not the egg's fault, I'm sure. User error is the only explanation. :blush: Whatever... I've tried several times and am not satisfied. Maybe this will work. :)

Thanks for the inspiration, Tim.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• civil eggineer
    I am still in the experimentation stage but I would try everything you suggested including the slightly increased cooking time. The first rack I did I cooked for 25 minutes in the PC and they were awsome as well. Thanks for the kind words and let me know what you think.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    EXperimentation???!! I LOVE it when people don't succumb to the temptation to throw an EGG into every word they can think of! :) Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut