Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ropa Vieja – A Quick Twist to Pulled Beef

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While at the West Side Market on Saturday, I was gathering up ingredients for the week’s meals. My butcher had some nice looking skirt steaks in case, so bought them with the intent to make fajitas. By Sunday evening I was running out of time to make fajitas and I did not want to freeze the beef. I started looking in my cookbooks. In my latest book, Steven Raichlen's Healthy Latin Cooking, I found a recipe for Ropa Vieja. What struck me was the use of skirt steak for pulled beef and I had everything that I needed including a fresh pablano pepper to use instead of a Green Bell pepper which I do not like. Traditionally, this is to be an all beef dish in a tomato sauce; however the author substituted some potatoes and carrots for some of the beef. [p]Basically inside of 1.5 hours, I had a Dutch oven full of Pulled Beef Stew. I regret that I did not egg this dish, because it would have been even better. I would have seared the Skirt Steaks at high temperature and then let the Dutch oven simmer uncovered on the Egg.[p]I will make this again on the BGE,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• RhumAndJerk,
    Being from Ropa Vieja country, I can tell you, something’s should be left alone, it’s one of those comfort food things.[p]1. Ropa Vieja (Old Clothes) is best from flank or skirt steak cooked to death in a pot or pressure cooker until falling apart. Then cooked in a tomato base sauce. No Potatoes or carrots.
    The broth from the meat makes great red beans.[p]2. Carne con Papas (Meat and Potatoes)
    Flank steak cut into chunks cooked in tomato base sauce, with potatoes and carrots[p]3. Vaca Frita (Fried Cow)
    Skirt stake, marinade in garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper & lemon.
    Marinate in the refrigerator for about an hour
    Grill until meat falls apart
    Squeeze some lemon on the meat, when you remove it from the grill, and serve
    Recommend served over a bed of grilled onions[p]#1 & #2, it would sacrilegious to mess with Abuela’s (grandmas) recipe
    #3, this one, will be great on the grill.[p]Pete[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Pete,
    That potatoes and carrots were the authors, Steven Raichlen, addition to make it a healthy dish. I had a Cuban cookbook that was more traditional but opted to go this way. I also served it over Brown Rice rather than white rice. I had leftovers for lunch today and I am still full.[p]Next time, I may go for the traditional recipe. If you are willing to share, I would love to try your grandmother’s recipe. Cuban cooking is something that I have just started looking into. [p]Thanks for the info,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk,
    I will write the recipe's down and e-mail them to you.
    What part of the country are you located at?
    Pete

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Pete,
    I am in Cleveland, Ohio. I have access to a lot of Caribbean ingredients around. Heck, I even purchased a Breadfruit on Saturday. I have only read about them, but never actually seen.[p]Thank you,
    RhumAndJerk

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    Pete,
    could I have a copy of that e mail also, or perhaps you could post it here?
    Thanks

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Bread fruit, a tree potatoe.
    You can used it like potatoes, some caribbean countries use to make all kinds of stuff.
    You are brave.
    Pete

• basselope,
    I will e-mail them tou you.
    I would post them, but the message would be too long. If you see one that looks interesting feel free to post it, or let me know and I will.
    Pete

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Pete:[p]If it is not too much trouble and you are in the mood to share I certainly would appreciate being included in the recipe e-mail! I am in Atlanta and grew up with some of the children of the first wave of Cubans making their way to our city. We have gone our separate ways, but the memory of the food and its wonderful smell lingers in the deep recesses of my mind . . .
    [/b]