Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

???Cast Iron Griidle???

Jai-Bo
Jai-Bo Posts: 584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a Lodge griddle from a junk store and got a so-so deal on it...Not to bad a shape. I did the measurements and it will fit down in my egg if I cut the handles off. I blacken alot of fish and think this would be a great addition. I can also use it fer other things but my ??? to all the eggsperts out there, is there another, possible better suggestion out there? I thought about a skillet on the platesetter but I like the idea of a flat surface. I also thought about a circular griddle but since this 1 is reversable, I thought it might be a good idea???

Has anyone else done this and if so what are your thoughts????

DSC05793.jpg

DSC05792.jpg
Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    You might consider these:

GraycortGrate.jpg

A large cast iron skillet with the handles shortened or removed:

Video4300000-01.jpg

A cast iron griddle ribbed on one side and flat on the other from Acadamy Sports about $10:

LonelyTexasWaffle-1.jpg

A Griddle Q

LittleGriddle3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Spring "Up Late Pondering" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Jai-Bo
    That 1 w/ Texas is a good fit....I might have to check into that un too.... thanks ;)
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    do you have the webber cast iron griddle/hotplate combo - if so, how well do it perform

thanks, mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Last night we blackened talpia on the griddle (slightly smaller than yours), then browned my corn tortillas on the griddle, and made fish tacos ... :P :P

You will find so many uses for it...
    Kent Madison MS
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    That is a nice griddle, and it will clean up easily and can be re-seasoned. I have a smaller Lodge griddle with recessed handles, it is also reversible smooth/ribs. It will fit on a spider too.

The round CI griddles with bails are a particular favorite of mine, I have 3 or 4. One even fits in my small egg, I can use them for cooking or as a heat shield.

DSC04732a.jpg

DSC04896gg.jpg

DSC07545aa.jpg

DSC08119a.jpg

DSC08605a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Here is a Bobby Flay steak griddle. I cut the handle off and it sits on the spider. Perfect for me. Not cheap but this thing is heavy duty and will last forever. :cheer: He also has a flat round griddle.

IMG_0349-1.jpg

IMG_0351-1.jpg

Here is a big ribeye steak just about done. I sear down low then bring the griddle up on a raised grid to finish the steak.
    BGERibeyegrillmarks001.jpg
    BGERibeyegrillmarks003.jpg

For fish I use a Lodge skillet with handle cut off.
    BGECatfish0004-1.jpg

Have fun with your cast iron!
  • Jai-Bo
    The hack saw looks like work.....I used a angle grinder.... :laugh:

It fits PERFECT now!!!! Can't wait ta try something, probably blackened AJ coming up.....Right now it's in the oven seasoning right now! :whistle:

DSC05795.jpg
    DSC05796.jpg