Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lo/Slow Eye of Round?

Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked an Eye of Round roast a few days ago, following some suggestions here, and it was absolutely delicious! But as I think folks suggested it would be, it was very tasty but still pretty chewy (the reason I gather people keep talking about slicing it as thinly as possible). I keep reading about Pork Butts hitting a plateau on a low-and-slow cook, but then having some of the fibrous stuff break down when the temperature gets a little higher. I cooked this indirect (with some hickory chunks) around 325-350, took it out around 125, wrapped it in foil but not towels, the temperature resting got up into the 140s, when it went below 140 I refrigerated it.

eyeRound.jpg

My question is: What would happen if I did it sort of like a pork butt instead, cooked it much lower, much longer, let it get to a higher temperature. Would it ever get tender, or would it just be tough but dry, instead of tough but juicy and tasty, as it was this time?

Thanks!

Theo

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I am not sure if this will happen to all cuts of beef, however, taking the cut to higher internal temperatures and holding it there will will result in tender cook - can be cut with a spoon. The meat will be a well done but juicy and tender.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i think with that particular cut you may have to braise it to get it tender. eyeround is a good reason to get a meatslicer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I think it would be a little chewy no matter how low and long you cooked it. Just not enough fat marble throughout for it to tender up and shred.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I agree with Fish. Next time cook it at 300 indirect until 130-135..double wrap in HDAF and immediately put it in the freezer for 30 minutes to stop the cooking process...then put it in the fridge overnight...cut very thin with a sharp knife or foodslicer.
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Not enough fat for a low and slow, sorry.

I use the eye to make homemade roast beef for sandwiches. I rub it down, let it sit uncovered in the fridge for a couple of days and then cook at about 225 until 122 internal. Slice on a meat slicer and serve with horseradish sauce and thin-sliced red onion.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I did very close to this with the butt end of a beef tenderloin roast. It was great. Made for a tasty lunch at work for several days.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Here's how I do eye of round:

Salt and pepper the outside or use your favorite rub

Grilled at 275 direct (slow grill), turning every 15 minutes until it hits 115 internal. this will give it a nice light char crust on the outside.

When it hits 115, take it off and put it in a big ziplock bag, then in the fridge overnight. The next day, there will be a lot of au jus gravy in the bag with the meat. Save the au jus in the ziplock bag, and slice the meat paper thin on a meat slicer. When you have it all sliced, put all the sliced meat back in the ziplock bag and seal the bag, then toss the meat in the bag to coat it evenly with the au jus.

The end result will practically melt in your mouth if it's sliced thinly enough.

spb2.jpg
  • kilts
    kilts Posts: 30
    Eye of round is one of my favorites

I like to cook it low & slow to 135 Deg F let stand covered 15 min.

Sliced & with a home made bun heaven
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    WOW -- MANY thanks to all for the feedback, recommendations, and the MOUTH-WATERING photo!!!

I'm definitely going to experiment some more!

Thanks!

Theophan