Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal lighting techniques

Options
Eggspert in Training
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok guys... what do you prefer when lighting your grill?

I currently use the electric starter that BGE sells, but am curious as to your opinion of other options.

ie. Mapp Torch, weed burner, etc.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    weedburner at home and oil/napkin at camp. ive burnt up two mapp torches in the past before getting the weedburner, the weed burner lasts along time and is a better deal if you have a tank from an old gasser
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I use the compressed sawdust/cellulose starter blocks (sold by BGE and others). Having tried multiple other methods, I keep coming back to this one. The blocks aren't affected by ambient moisture, they light quickly & reliably, and they don't require attention once aflame. I generally use one, even when starting my large...multiples don't seem to cut much time off of lighting, and I almost always use the heating-up period to do prep work. Plus, you can buy several boxes at a time; the blocks never go bad.
  • Eggspert in Training
    Options
    I have used the blocks too...

They did seem to do the job. I recently purchased a bag of the Wicked Lump charcoal, and from what I have read, it takes a while to start. Thus, I am trying to see what method will start it faster.

As for the weedburner...every video I look at on the internet makes it look like a flame thrower!! LOL.

Is it safe?
  • kip stabone
    kip stabone Posts: 51
    Options
    I use the electric starter as well and have been really happy with it. Left it out in the rain accidentally last weekend and it keeps right on working. It seems from reading posts around here that not many people use the electric starter. I've been curious as to why not?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    you have the flame thrower option if you pull the trigger, its not needed to light an egg, just light the torch and adjust the flame and light
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    they tend to burn out in a relativly short time
    fukahwee maine

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Because the MAPP torch & or propane burner is quicker & easier IMO..
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    No exterior power supply, and if a fire needs to be restarted at night, a torch shows the way.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I use the starter cubes, cut them in half diagonally, and use three triangles, 1 1/2 cubes, placed equally around the lump, 10,2,&6. As soon as they are burning I close the lid, both vents wide open [top vent off], and go do my prep or whatever. Very easy and dependable. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I use the electric starter because I have an outlet right at my grill. When I build my table, I'll have to use an extension cord so I might change procedure.
    I saw a youtube video where a guy used rubbing alcohol to light his and it looked like it worked great...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1VxWsR1Sw
    Just don't know anything about it though....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    I use a starter cube and a chimney starter of fresh lump, which I sit in top of the old lump in the egg. When the fresh lump is lighting I pour it out onto the old lump, and this works fine for me. I do shake down all the small pieces of lump which block the air holes in the grid, before I start. Restricted air flow is the only thing that will delay getting a good temperature quickly in the egg.

Greetings from Ireland, Roger
  • Chrisinhouston
    Options
    I use a large chimney to light my Medium BGE and a stick lighter. I find it useful since I reuse the lump whenever possible and it seems like a good way to incorporate old and new charcoal or even chunks of raw wood. A sheet or 2 of newsprint and it's flaming within a few minutes, the chimney sits in the egg at a slight angle and I just tip it over when the flames are above the coals. I add more coal to the hot stuff if I am doing a long cooking time, otherwise the chimney holds enough for most grilled meats.
  • Paco
    Paco Posts: 27
    Options
    I've been using my BGE electric starter for over a year and it still works great. (I probably just cursed myself)
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    I use rubbing alcohol (90%) I get from work. Costco sells 70% and it works well, but the 90% acts like the back end of a jet plane for a few minutes!!
    I tried the electric starter, I like the alcohol better. Just be careful, because it will get going fast!! :laugh:
    Thanks, Bob
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    Had been using an electric starter, but they don't seemed to hold up. I went to the electric because I had trouble with the starter cubes blowing out before they could get going good and I could close the lid. Our property is flat and we have strong breezes and winds often. So now I use the starter cubes most of the time and only use the electric starter on windy days. After this electric starter dies, I don't think I'll buy another.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Helfy
    Helfy Posts: 13
    Options
    Definitely an electric starter convert. Hadn't heard that they burn out, but for under $20, I'll just replace it unless it becomes a recurring problem.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I vary between a MAPP torch and alcohol. Got lots of time on the torch and it's still going strong. Lights the lump in a big hurry (be sure to wear an old shirt)!
    Here's a video on using alcohol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U&feature=related

A friend told me he could light his Egg by just breathing on it and lighting a match. Haven't heard from him in a good while..
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I remember that Egg in the video, It is painted gold. He posted pics of it here when he first painted it some years ago. -RP
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    I started with the oil and napkin which worked fine.

Then I went to the BGE starter material. Worked fine.

Next was a propane torch. It's not supposed to work but it was fine for me. Went thru two cylinders with no problem.

Next was alcohol. That worked well too.

Now I'm back to oil and napkin. Easy, simple and works virtually every time. Basically like so may egg procedures, many ways to do it, just pick the one you like.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    WileCoyote sent me an alcohol starter kit and I like it so much I gave away my Mapp torch and 2 tanks of Mapp gas in OKC. I haven't looked back. ;)
  • FossilPeddler
    Options
    I always use paper towel and canola oil. Super easy, works every time.
  • LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    Options
    I use the 90% Alcohol. You can get it a Walmart.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I use the electric starter. Had mine for a year or so, with no issues. I think I paid $7 from Menards.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    i use a propane torch.. 30 seconds in two locations. open the bottom vent, put in place setter if you are going to use it. put on grill, close the lid, take off cap and come back in 15-20 minutes to adjust vents to temp you want
    unless it is low and slow. better make it 10 minutes
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Mike, love your "thing". Any word? How ya been?
  • BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    Options
    Great topic because I was going to ask about the alcohol method. It's the one I've been using with great success and didn't know if I was the only one.
  • rolltidefan
    rolltidefan Posts: 17
    Options
    I changed my fire box grid to a 1/2 wire mesh. Cut it out of a screen from a rock crusher. Now I just a wad up a piece of newspaper put it under the grid through the vent and light it up. After the first piece of paper is gone I will put one more in and she is up and running. This method allows the fire to start at the bottom and work up. The mesh grid also allows more air flow because the holes do not get clogged. Seems to be more responsive when opening or closing the vent.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I learned the canola on napkin trick from stike. Works well and borderline free. The trick is go go very light on the oil. What's not to like?