Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Herb garden

cleinen
cleinen Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to plant a window sill herb garden in my garage. I was looking for some suggestions on good things to plant in it to compliment cooking on the egg. I was thinking rosemary, thyme, and basil.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Tarragon and Oregano.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I would think those would be the TOP 3.Dill is a good one too if you like to cook salmon. ;)
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Mint, for Mint Juleps. I like it in Maranara sauce too.
  • cleinen
    cleinen Posts: 102
    I guess to expand some on the question is what foods are great with fresh herbs in them. I was doing basil for spaghetti sauce. I was thinking rosemary and thyme for when I do mad max turkey. I have never tried mint juleps or salmon.
  • Rosemary & thyme are perennials, and basil is an annual, so you might want to put them in separate pots. Basil needs a bit more water than the other two, so that's another good reason to plant separately. I can't live without any of the three, plus thai basil, cilantro (only in cooler weather in my garden), tarragon, chives (seriously easy to grow, good in/on everything from baked potatoes to stir fry), sage, parsley, and oregano.

Don't forget about green onions (aka scallions): buy a bunch at the store, cut the root ends off (about 1" above the rootlets), and poke the rooted ends in the soil. They'll grow like weeds, and you can cut the tops as you need them without having to pull up the plant. The bulbs will continue to send up new growth for several years.
  • sage (a couple types), thai basil if you can get it (in addition to sweet basil), parsley, cilantro, chives, oregano, maybe dill (for when your cukes start to proliferate).

we always have a good sized herb garden. easily the most important part of our minimalist 'garden'.

don't forget the potential for container plants. most of our annuals are in containers. if you are somewhere a little more mild than the northeast, you can get rosemary to overwinter. saw an 11 dollar BUSH of rosemary. almost bought it, but it never overwinters. planted this year's closer to the house (dang near against it), and am hoping that will give it a better chance at overwintering.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Lots of Basil! I can't get enough of it for my pizzas. We also make Caprese, although that's not a egged dish.

I grow peppermint for iced tea and lots and lots of basil. Of course, peppermint is not good in a small box. It will quickly take over.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Mint will spread, fyi.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    I say plant whatever herbs you use most in your cooking. At my house my herb garden consists of mint, rosemary, thyme, sage and tarragon. I use a ton of cilantro but don't bother growing it anymore.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • SmokingLong
    SmokingLong Posts: 34
    Yeah - if you go with mint, plant it is a separate container. In the ground it will spread like crazy. I did that once and it took about two years to rip out the roots (you have to get out ever bit of the plant to stop it from spreading). Although it is nice to have on hand for mojitos!