Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Pellets

Billy
Billy Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried those wood pellets? They look like guinea pig food. I can get hickory and mesquite in chips and chunks, but all of the other woods are only available in these pellets.(at least in the stores around me) Are these things any good? Thanks, Billy

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Billy,[p]Nope - they burn way too fast and they come from sawdust so your not sure if its got bark in there too. If you want to soak them - well you'll have wet sawdust in your hand. [p]Avoid.[p]Tim
  • Lee2
    Lee2 Posts: 38
    Billy,
    I've used alder pellets for salmon since it has been my only readily available source of alder. They worked ok for the salmon since it was only on the heat 20-30 minutes. I did notice when I took the fish off that in that short time the pellets had completely burned away. I don't think I'd use them if chips were available and certainly not for something that's going to be on the fire for any length of time.

• Lee2
    Lee2 Posts: 38
    Billy,
    I've used alder pellets for salmon since it has been my only readily available source of alder. They worked ok for the salmon since it was only on the heat 20-30 minutes. I did notice when I took the fish off that in that short time the pellets had completely burned away. I don't think I'd use them if chips were available and certainly not for something that's going to be on the fire for any length of time.

• Frozen Chosen
    Frozen Chosen Posts: 131
    Tim M, I use Li'l Devils a lot and get good results; especially for quick, heavy smoke for, say, hamburgers or chicken. Long and low, go with chunks. But with egg valved down to 250F or less, I don't get a whole lot of fire off these things, and they do impart a lot of smoke flavor. Good when I've forgotten to soak chips. As for bark.. yea, I guess they might have some QA/QC issues, but I can;t see it as a big deal, IMHO.