Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My New Table

dtc
dtc Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Just finished my table. Way overbuild. Top is granite, base is mahogany. It should last longer than I do.

DSCF0664.jpg

Comments

• NICE RIG! I was looking into doing just a sunk in granite area in the top of mine, but they wanted $500 for just a 18"x18" square... Gotta love the WMDA!
  • dtc
    Thanks. My top is 30"x60" and cost less than $400. It was a remnant, which cut the price down considerably. The granite itself was $250 and cutting the hole was $100. The rest was for polishing. The hole they cut out is under the egg, with feet for providing an air space. I guess I was lucky. The place I used is known to have good prices.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Nice job. Glad to see you didn't waste that hole.
    I made a tabletop out of mine, Birch Plywood, to put on top of my old egg nest.
    DSC_0013-2.jpg
    DSC_0014-2.jpg
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    looks pretty nice - GREAT JOB :)
  • Judy's Egg
    Judy's Egg Posts: 104
    Nice table. Keep it covered and it will last forever.
  • dtc
    That is the plan. I made it to the extra large table dimensions so I could keep it covered with a standard BGE cover.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Very nice. How did you get the egg in there?
  • dtc
    I was a little worrried about doing it, but it was pretty easy. Three people did the job. I took the inside parts out of the egg, but left the top on. I lined the hole with duct tap to prevent scratching, just in case, but it was not really needed. I put the granite circle in place on the bottom shelf, then piled up short 2x4s (5 of them I think) up to the bottom of the top supports. Two of us picked the egg up and put it in the hole, on top of the 2/4s. We lowered it by picking it up slightly, having the third person (my wife) pull out a 2x4, and lowering it down to the next 2x4. One of us held it by the hindge and the other by the vent hole. It was awkard to hold, but we only lowered it 1 3/4" at a time. When we got to the last 2x4, we positioned the three feet on top of the bottom granite piece and lowered the egg into place. The third person dedicated to the 2x4s made it easy to pull the 2x4 and to be sure the other 2x4s stayed properly stacked. The 2x4s and 3rd person allowed us to work at a slow pace, which really helped the process and our mindset.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I love the granite top.
  • DubfromGA
    DubfromGA Posts: 54
    Wow....that is a substantial piece of plunder there.

Very, very nice.
  • I bet that table doesn't even budge in the stiffest of winds! Glad I am not the guy who had to move that thing! Excellent job.
    Large BGE. Southeast Pennsylvania. @BrianObst
  • Big George's BBQ
    Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
    You did a really nice job
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Nice table. Just wait till you get more eggs, then it'll be under-built. :laugh:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    The granite table top is gorgeous. Don't worry about your table being overbuilt. It will last a long time. Just wish you added wheel casters. You did a good job !

Gary
  • dtc
    Thanks. I thought about adding wheels, but decided I would move it so seldom that I did not need them. I'll probably move it once every 2 years to do the deck. Two of us can move it and with four people it is trivial. The flange on the wheels is slightly bigger than the table leg, so it either has to show or I would need to add another board. If really needed, I can add them.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Great looking table, I sent you an email but I read my answers in your other posts :P I am making a shorter table but if it looks 1/2 as good as your, I'll be happy! :whistle:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!