Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a smoking problem

Dale
Dale Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been egging mow for a few years, but have to admit have never mastered (hell, not even apprentice) getting a nice smoke flavor. When I first started, I would throw on some hardwood chunks, and the smoke would pour out. Of course if I put the meat on then, which I mistakenly did a few times, the results were terrible. If i waited for the smoke to subside, there would be very little left, and after just a short time, there was none. So I had basically given up and just relied on the smoke flavor of the lump.

Wondering what techniques are used for getting a more consistent, light smoke that lasts at least a few hours?

Thanks,

Dale

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Have you tried mixing the chunks down into the lump?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I mix mine throughtout the load of lump so there is some from start to finish.I usually use chips because they are more readily available in these parts.
  • Dale
    No, I have always let the lump stabilize, then added the chunk, i shall give this a try. Just add a chunk or two, next to the starter? I use the paraffin starters.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    If it is tasting too smokey it may be the wood. Try something milder like cherry. I never use hickory or mesquite except on beef. Pecan is my favorite for poultry but that may be too strong for some tastes. Of course, alder is the way to go with fish.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Dale
    yes, I agree, use Cherry and Apple mostly, but just can't get the smoke to last.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Hoss,

Your smoking wood blues will be over soon. Spent some quality time with a guy in his orchard yesterday. :whistle: apple coming out my ears, pear and plum soon and Black Cherry will also be plentiful soon. :) So you can chip'em if ya want, but don't recommend it. :P

Said orchard owner also appears to hunt more than I do. :angry: I let him use my mini for a week or so, until I get back up for another truck load. :ohmy: :laugh:

Sittin fat in the hood
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Dale,

Fruitwood has won me over. Pecan is some good stuff as well. I mix in larger chunks along with the lump when I'm looking for more smoke flavor than just the lump alone.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    COOL! I can trade a load of Pecan and Grape vine. ;)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Hi Dale,
    First, the smoke will only permiate the meat while it is still in the lower temp range;after that, the "pores" of the meat seem to close up as the temp on the meat rises. I put good size wood chunks in mine, and what doesn't burn completely, is part of the lump for the next cook as well. Contact me offline with a phone number and I'll be happy to talk you through any questions you have. HTH.