Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calibrate, early and often

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wasn't dialed in. The BGE thermometer was low by 50*. I found out when I did a butt cook with the Maverick ET73. I wonder how many cooks I've been running low on.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would trust the egg thermo before the Mav. At least you can calibrate the egg model!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Options
    In this case the Maverick was right. I went through the cook trusting the Maverick. I just calibrated the BGE therm in boiling water with the Thermapen as a base line; BGE therm was low. Turned the nut and it's back true.
    Member since 2009
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Oh. I figured you'd already done that. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Options
    Nope. Lesson learned.
    Member since 2009
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I did not calibrate my Eggs for the first year plus. When I finally did one was off by 30 degrees and the other 40. Lesson learned. I calibrate every month or so now.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you found the problem. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL