Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Steaks!

joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been lurking on the forum for a few months now and really appreciate the cooks and recipes that everyone shares. I am a native St.Louisian and we enjoy our pork steaks here. I have cooked them twice now and I think I have the kinks worked out. I used Smokin' in the Dark Medium Rub Link Here and grilled indirect at 300 dome temp for about 3 hrs on my large. Sorry no pics...I'll take some next time. I love the medium rub from these guys...it is so versatile. Anyone else have any pork steak recommendations?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    What cut is "pork steak"? B) ?

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • joe@bge
    It's simply a steak cut off of a pork butt - I don't get around much, but I think they are pretty much a St. Louis/Kansas City thing.
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Yes, they are a cut from pork shoulder (Boston Butt) and we have them here in Oregon too :laugh: Sometimes called Country Ribs (Trust me, they are not ribs). They come boneless and bone-in, all depends on the butcher.

I did a couple the other night and followed Nature Boys procedure off of the Dizzy Pig website. It basically a raised grid with a 250 +/- dome temp. The ones I grabbed where not cut that thick and only took 2 hours. Added a chink of Guava wood at the start to get a bit of kiss :P of smoke flavor.

Indirect or Direct...I have done them both with great results.

Here is the link: http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCountryRibs.html
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    I smoke mine indirect like pork butt at 250 for 3 hours or so. I like to put on my kc rub the night before so it soaks in .. yum yum!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Frank, I'm glad you asked first. :lol: Never heard of a pork steak either... sounds good though. Anything with butt HAS to be good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Well, all I gotta say is they don't raise them kinda pigs in Kentucky, or any where else south of the Mason/Dixon Line, Steaks don't come from Butts, but if its Pork its gotta be good! :P !!

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    We definately have country ribs down here though. And they are awesome. I go raised direct around 300 also, but they are usually done in around 2 hours.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I make them all the time. If they are good ones I do them indirect at 250. If they are the .99 cent ones from schnucks or shopnsave I do 250 indirect for 2 hours then simmer in a pan of BBQ sauce for 2 hours.
    Here are a couple along with some ribs and tators in the foil.
    IMG_8209.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    I agree with you, country ribs are great and cook fairly fast, luv'm! :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • cb
    cb Posts: 27
    Yew they are a great meat cut native to our Missouri are. I grill mine at 300 for about 1 hour then simmer/baste in a BBQ-beer sauce- tender off the bone... sometimes I use a sweet-n-sour sauce. yes those .89 cents lb. make good grillin days and terrific pork sandwiches for many days after,,,,
  • joe@bge
    Thanks for the feedback. I've done a bunch of grilling on the egg since getting it in Febuary - there is no comparison. I was a tried and true weber kettle guy...and now there is no turning back. B)

I am working up some plans for a big cookout for Mother's Day...I'll post pics!
  • we do a lot of them in southern Illinois, but we are less than 2 hours from STL. I did the slow and low for a long time, but a co-worker and fellow egghead told me to take a 1 inch pork steak and cook at 500 indirect for 10 per side.  I tried it and they are perfect a little sear and very juicy. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    THREAD REVIVAL!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Has anyone done these direct? Or is indirect best?
    Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
    Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    edited January 2019
    Has anyone done these direct? Or is indirect best?
    Absolutely. Direct is my favorite way of doing them. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I like raised direct as well. A little more flipping but I like direct better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg said:
    I like raised direct as well. A little more flipping but I like direct better.
    Yeah I need to get me a raised/extension set up. Waiting to meet up again with @stlcharcoal soon to get pswoo/extension 
    Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
    Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II