Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs are no good

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,754
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
for weight loss :laugh: how many calories can there be in a rack, took 4 days to lose the extra weight after eating a rack and a half over the two day weekend. but they were good :laugh:
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• WhackMaster719
    Options
    What's a calorie? That some sort of fancy flavor enhancer... :evil:
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I think somewhere around 100 calories per rib, but could be more, depending on the sauce used. :ohmy:

Of course, whenever I eat ribs or pulled pork, there seems to be a lot of salt present (even when I can't taste it) cause I gain much more than expected from the volume of food eaten alone. Seems to come off in a couple of days. :whistle:
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    IMO--there ain't no such thing as a forbidden food. I recently spoke with a trainer who explained that if you put on ten pounds of muscle, which takes about a year, you will burn 500-700 a day at rest, you know reading a book, watching TV.

When you exercise with ten more pounds of muscle you will burn fat all that much faster, too. Weight loss and fat loss are not synonomous. You can restrict calories and lose weight by losing muscle if you are not building muscle to burn fat.

Over long periods of time just dieting and losing weight(muscle)you make it just that much harder to lose weight the right way by burning fat with muscle. I have heard it my whole life, diet and exercise but the truth is that many of us think that means endless cardio.

But all cardio really does, according to my trainer, is build the heart muscle, cardio means heart. It does very little to build the muscle needed to burn fat. If you build muscle by strength training you will burn more fat during cardio but cardio alone won't get you there.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    they say 108 Calories per rib dry, now add the sauce and rub! "Don't eat them everyday, just every other" :P , some Egger told me that, and I thought it was funny!
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    Ribs ARE DIET FOOD!

Get a copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. Read it, follow it exactly - It works! I was 398 lbs when I started it and are now 325. As long as you do not have to have super sugary Sauce or rubs for your meat you can eat pretty much all you want and STILL drop the pounds (NO, I am not kidding).
    Give it a look - if you read the book and follow the real diet (not just what you hear about here and there) it REALLY DOES WORK!

Lowered my BP
    Lowered my Triglycerides
    Lowered my cholesterol
    In Maryland
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Just use more cheyenne pepper in the rub, and after you eat, you'll have to get rid of it in the bathroom before it digests :lol: :woohoo: :lol:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    YB, Congratulations on your weight loss. Are you working with a trainer and taking regular percentage of body fat measurements? Do you know for certain that all the weight you are losing is fat? My experience with extreme diets is that while they work initially they consume lean muscle along with fat and then it is difficult to continue to burn fat and maintain the weight loss long term.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    The cardio exercise gets you breathing.  Oxygen is needed to burn fuel as all Eggers know.  You need to hit your target heart rate and maintain it for at least 20 minutes to get your furnace going.  After a good workout you will burn calories all day.  Knowing what to eat before and after exercise is crucial.  If you feed the Egg the right amount of fuel and oxygen it works beautiful.  Your body is the dame way.  Most of us get sedentary and only use 15% of our lung capacity.  Breathe deeply and fill those lungs up.  You will sleep better and feel better.  I got quite an education from my nutritionist and exercise physiologist.  It's not magic, it's basic science.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Here's some nutritional info - not a health food...

Amount per ounce (so probably meat from 1 rib)

Total calories: 108
    Calories from total fat: 76
    Total fat: 8.5 grams
    Saturated fatty acids: 3.1 grams

Got this from here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

about half way down the right side.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2013
    Options

I don't jog. If I die I want to be sick.
      Abe Lemmons

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.