Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a killer lobster bisque recipe?

reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some lobster tails that I need to use up in my freezer. Just wondering if anyone has an over the top recipe for lobster bisque.
Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Anne,

As a matter of fact I do. It isn't written down but I'll e-mail it to you. Do you have lobster, shrimp or cab legg shells?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Haven't you been following along sweetheart, this forum isn't about cooking any more. :P

Kidding of course.

Hopefully LC will catch this. She gave me some great pointers for making bisque last time I cooked a big lobster. I still have the stock but have never made the bisque. I was too stupid to take notes at the time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    LOL Seems that way.

Mike
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Stupid or inebriated? :laugh:-RP
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have not had anyone die from this therefore it is not killer, but great to work with.

Soup, Bisque, Lobster, Poor Man's

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 Stick Butter or Margarine
    2-3 1 Lbs Lobster Shells, Meat removed
    1 Cup Chicken Broth
    1 Small Lobster Tail, Still In Shell
    2-3 Shallots, Peeled & Sliced
    1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
    1/2 Onion, Chopped
    2 Tbs Tomato Paste
    2 Tsp Cornstarch
    1 Cup 1/2 & 1/2, Cream
    1 Lemon, Sliced Into Rounds
    Fresh Parsley, Minced
    Salt/Pepper to Taste

Procedure:
    1 In a heavy soup kettle, over moderate heat, melt butter and in it saute shallots and onion until they are translucent. Add lobster shells and stir, cooking for 2 minutes, being careful not to brown or burn butter (keep heat fairly low). Add tomato paste (push shells aside to add it to butter, stirring and cooking about 30 seconds, then add wine, and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add chicken broth, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, pression on solids with a heavy mug or canned good, to extract as much liquid as possible.. Discard solids. (Bisque may be prepared ahead to this point and frozen or refrigerated until ready to use.)
    2 A half hour before serving; bring bisque broth to a boil, reduce to simmer. Add the fresh lobster tail, cook 4-5 minutes, remove tail from broth with tongs, allow to cool enough to handle. Crack tail shell so as to remove the meat in one piece. Discard shell. Slice cooled lobster meat into thin rounds. Lay each round atop a lemon slice and sprinkle with a little minced parsley. Cover with plastic film wrap and set aside to use as a garnish.
    3 Stir 1-2 teaspoons cornstarch into the cream until dissolved. Add cream to broth and stir, simmering, until bisque is thick and creamy. Taste and correct seasoning. If broth is not pink enough, add a drop of red food coloring to give it a nice, pale, rosy color. Ladle hot bisque into bowls, top with lemon/lobster medallions and serve with crusty bread and butter.

Yield: 6-8 Servings

Recipe Type
    Soup

Recipe Source
    Source: Florida Today
  • reelgem
    No, I'd have to purchase a good quality seafood stock from my fishmonger. But thanks, I'd love to check out your recipe.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    You don't save your shrimp shells? -RP
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Tryin to get LC to take a look...sent IM..
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Steve, I know where you are going with this. :):) :laugh: :silly:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • reelgem
    Thanks Rod, I do see the forum going the wrong direction but one thing I do know for sure is that eggfests aren't about cooking anymore.
    Dr. Zaius gave a teqilla 101 class...... at 2am. :woohoo: :)
  • reelgem
    I know, I'm bad, I need to start doing that. :(
  • reelgem
    Thanks Wess, I'm sure LC, she's never steered me wrong.
  • cookn biker
    Ooo, I'm excited now! Are you working on that for Texas? ;) I'm bringing the salmon!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Little Steven
    Anne,

Do you have an oriental market close by?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Milly,

Yes you do! It's the only way to make a true bisque. Think cheesecloth :)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    Milly....?
    Yup cheesecloth. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Anne...I will email you later. Really though, you need shrimp shells from a couple pounds of shrimp and lobster water from boiling Maine lobsters. Are your tails warm water lobster?
  • Little Steven
    Sorry Milly, got my glasses now.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    hahaha
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • reelgem
    Thanks Richard! That looks like a good one.
  • reelgem
    LOL!! I'm not even cooking in TX. I'm doing some socializing at this fest and sous cheffing for Pato. :)
  • reelgem
    Thanks Michelle, the fish monger I use sells a pretty decent seafood stock that they make.
    The lobster I have are FL spiny lobster.
  • cookn biker
    Anne, Pato is not coming. :( You can be my girl though!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i dont think those tails will make a good bisque, they might be better in a tomato based fish stew, or maybe a white lobster chili but you need some stock like what was mentioned, maybe clam juice would work or add shrimp, i would add the shrimp ;)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=575396
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have made this one twice, just substitute lobster for the shrimp. The leeks are a great addition. I use a boat motor immersion blender to make it smooth at the end.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/shrimp-bisque-recipe/index.html

Also, I always save shrimp shells, and crab shells in the freezer until I get enough to make stock. I have even brought shells home from a restaurant to freeze (Yes, they look at you funny when you ask for a to-go box for shells!)

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    heres my bisque recipe, go light with the brandy especially if you add a little when serving. still not sure it will work for southern bug tails :laugh:

lobster bisque
    2 lobsters 1.5 to 2 pounds each MAINE LOBSTERS, not southern bugs
    2.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
    1 cup lobster broth from inside lobster and water reserved from steaming
    8 ounces snows clam juice
    1 cup white wine
    .25 cups brandy
    1 small can tomato paste
    finely chopped 1 small onion,2 stocks cerery,2 carrots,
    2 cloves garlic
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp sage or bay seasoning
    2 tblsp butter/ 3 tablespoons flour
    .5 cups light cream and .5 cups heavey cream
    franks hot sauce or tobasco
    salt pork
    black pepper and seasalt

slowly heat the salt pork from a cold pan and add some olive oil if there is not enough fat for frying the veggies, discard the salt pork and saute the veggies until soft. add the garlic and spice and pepper then add the stock wine brandy paste juice and simmer about 1 hour. add a few cups of water to the steaming pan or some broth wine etc and steam lobsters for 10-15 minutes ( they will be red but not thoroughly cooked. remove the meat and save the juice for the soup, brake the lobster into bite sized pieces and add any of the green stuff and refridgerate. make a roux with the butter and flour in a small fry pan and add to the bisque, add the cream and add the lobster last. cook for 5 more minutes. when serving add a splash of brandy and a little hot sauce.
    you could strain the soup before adding the lobster and cream, but the slight crunch in the bisque is desirable. places from north of boston, south will put the lobster in a blender to thicken the bisque, but many places up the coast of maine make it with chunks. make this on the stove top and the bread bowls in the bge. with fresh lobster there is no need to add salt, but if your buying tank lobsters you may want to add some seasalt and double the clam juice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it