Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops, by a newbie

schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I get home at 6:30 tonight and my wife has picked up a couple of pork loin butterfly chops. That gives me about 10 minutes for recipe research...I see TRex's name by one...and think "I'm a TRex expert (I've used his method once on ribeyes) so let's go with that."

Little salt and pepper on one and add some John Henry's pecan rib seasoning to the other (worked for the baby back ribs) and then threw on the red hot grill for 2 minutes on each side.

Here the chops are at rest (for 20 minutes) with the darker chop on the left the one with the pecan rib seasoning. (sorry didn't have time to pull out the camera until now)

firsttryatporkchops001.jpg

Since I'm still in the bigtime newbie stage, it was time for a little more experimentation. I put Sweet Baby Ray's hickory & brown sugar on half of each chop...and then back on the egg for five minutes each side at 400 degrees.

firsttryatporkchops002.jpg

While this was all going on, I was cooking a side of Crash Hot Potatoes (thanks for the recommendation Mike!) but a multi tasker I am not (yet) so this was just a two course meal. Actually, it was a three course meal as I consider the Chardonnay wine a full course!

firsttryatporkchops003.jpg

So how did it turn out? (Drum roll please) They were some of the juiciest and best pork chops I've ever had. They definitely did NOT need the barbeque sauce...but we did prefer the chop with the added pecan rub seasoning.

firsttryatporkchops006.jpg

The Crash Hot Potatoes were also very easy...and AWESOME. Great crunch with a soft inside. Definitely will make again!

firsttryatporkchops005.jpg

By the way, I have to give big time props to my golf buddy Brian who first told me about the BGE less than two months ago.

Based on my pictures and posts, he thinks I'm obsessive-compulsive...but while I may be obsessive, I think the mere fact that it took the salesman almost an hour to sell me my egg means that I'm not complusive.

And for all you newbie's out there...in just 15 days of owning my egg, I've cooked:

Ribeyes
Hamburgers
Pizza
Baby Back Ribs
Chicken Breast
Whole Chicken
Fajitas
Pork Chops

So go for it...YOU CAN DO IT!

SchmeeTex

Comments