Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great Lamb Chops

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I have decided that the day after Easter is a great day to pass through Sam's meat department. Lamb chops were marked down! I grabbed 3 packages, 24 chops and put them up 4 to a FoodSaver package. All but 1 package went to the freezer.

DSC_1697A_640.jpg

The 4 chops I held out were rubbed with Sea Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Kitchen Bouquet.

DSC_1703AAA_640.jpg

The egg was about 450º-500º with grid raised. I used hickory chips for smoke wood.

DSC_1708A_640.jpg

After five minutes total I pulled them.

DSC_1711A_640.jpg

The thickest one was rare and rest were rare-medium rare, perfect! They were as tender, juicy and flavorful as they could possibly be. The Kitchen Bouquet I have used on steaks before but never lamb chops. It gave them a delightful rich flavor on top of the wonderful flavor of the lamb. The amount of char on these also added to the flavor. These were great! :cheer:

Gator

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Gator,

Love lamb chops! They look great!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Steven, these were some of the best I have ever cooked. They were exploding with flavor.

Gator

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I love buying lamb chops at Sams, they have the best prices on them. Yours look perfect, Gator. I have never used the Kitchen Bouquet before, is it salty?

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Faith

Thanks, The Kitchen Bouquet I don't find salty. The ingredients are:

Caramel, Vegetable base (water, carrots, onions, celery, parsnips, turnips, salt, parsley, spices) Sodium Benzoate (Less than 0.1 of 1% to preserve freshness)

Salt is well down the list. If you are familiar with Gravy Master, they are very similar and are often side by side in the supermarkets. It is rich, a small amount will go a long way. I like it in soups, stews, gravy and like this on meats.

Gator

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Man oh man do those look fantastic!! I'd say you mastered that Blair!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Molly, I was looking for a way to prepare them that was simple and different from the usual thyme or rosemary as the primary seasoning. This turned out to be a great variation.

Blair

• schmeetex
    schmeetex Posts: 69
    Options
    Holy Cow...or should I say Sensational Sheep! ;) Man those chops look great...didn't know lamb could look so good. Very nice!
  • op2k
    op2k Posts: 62
    Options
    Mmmmm. I had lamb for the first time this Easter, and seeing your great cook has me hungry for more. I can't believe I went without it all these years.
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Thanks, these came out as good as they look, if not better. I'll be doing them like this again soon. I cook them much like I would a steak of the same thickness.

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks op2k,

Lamb is a funny critter, a lot of people have the idea that they don't care for it. I have family that won't even try it. I think it comes from having had it years ago when it wasn't as mild and nice as it is today or they have had some older mutton that was not to their liking. Lamb today is so mild and tender it is a real treat. Lamb from different locations can have different amounts of flavor. I think New Zealand lamb is the most common and has the mildest flavor. Next I place lamb from Australia with a bit more flavor and domestic Colorado lamb as having the most flavor and the least seen in the markets around here. When I was young, I am guessing, that all our lamb was domestic and was a lot richer in flavor then what we get today. Lamb can be expensive but if you keep you eyes open you can find deals on it. I got these chops for $6.30 a pound marked down from about $7.87 at Sam's. That's why I froze a bunch of it. Glad to hear you have rediscovered the other red meat.

Gator

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Great looking chops Gator. Wish I was there taste testing.

GG
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    looks great !

very nice internal color !
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Kent, wish you were too, it'd be nice to meet ya. :cheer:

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks, They were as near perfect as I have had them in a long time.

Gator

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Now...now...now......mi amigo this I reeeeally like......tell me how do you get them that colour on the outside?? is it the Kitche Bouquet,,,Great!!!!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Good Morning Beli! I think the Kitchen Bouquet is part of the char on the outside. The Kitchen Bouquet has a rich flavor, it is like the vegetable part of a great beef stew, it doesn't cover up the flavor of the meat but compliments it well. A little goes a long way. The same vegetables that they use to make Kitchen Bouquet (carrots, onions, celery, parsnips, turnips, salt, parsley, spices) are the same ones I would use in a good stew. The first ingredient on the label is caramel, it gives it a very dark brown color, like a wood stain it is so dark. This also helps with the final color I am sure. The egg at 500º was probably part of it also.

Have a great day,

Gator

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    You nailed ilt Gator. Perfect carmelized lamb chops! :)

(Thanks for your beautiful Woosday pics.....I can always count on you to brighten my day.)
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Options
    Looks GREAT! I've been eyeing Lamb Chops for awhile now. Never bit though, too pricey. MIGHT have to take the plunge after your post. Once again great post. Thx
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Hey Gator,

Lookin' good. Great idea... gathering up some chops on the cheap.
  • ThunderBunny
    Options
    Those make me want to do some experimenting with lambchop - never mind Shari Lewis.
    So Gator... raised grid, 2 1/2 minutes per side at 500*? That doesn't sound like a lot of time. What's the proper internal temp?
  • ThunderBunny
    Options
    Oh - and direct flame, right?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Gator,

Your pics are sooo clear I can taste those things. :)

Tasted great too ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Rebecca, it's my pleasure on both counts. The Woosday pictures are the easy one, a real good cook is more of a challenge. LOL. It should be the other way around.

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks BillHill, they are pricey for me also. I have to wait 'till I find a deal on them. These were as good as the best steak I have had in a long time which helps justify the cost. :cheer:

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Bill, I made my budget happy for a change. :lol:

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hey ThunderBunny,

I cook these to the same internal temp as I like a steak, 120º is probably my maximum. I would rather pull them early and have them rare than to pull to late. Like a good steak, you do not want to over cook them. These chops are small and the fire was hot, a lot of time wasn't needed. ;)

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Yup, direct works well for me.

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Adam, Glad you enjoyed them. I wish I could eat that way. I could loose some weight and save a bunch of cash. :laugh:

Gator