Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh duck breast ?

Options
Meat
Meat Posts: 233
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a couple of fresh duck breast. Whats a good temp and time? Thanks.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I do know you don't want to cook it past medium rare.
  • Preheat a cast iron skillet in a 400 degree egg. Score the fat on the breast. Brown it skin side down til nicely brown. Flip it brown. Cook to 130-135 degrees for medium rare.

P2142282.jpg

Faith
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    This might be too rare for some people, but I love it this way. These were marinated in a spicy orange marinade:

P2142301.jpg

Yep, the fat is the best part!! Duck fat rules.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Have you ever smoke a duck breast before? If so, how?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LC and Stripsteak have golden fingers with these little babies. try doing a search for either and I think LC has her method in the cookbook too.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LC and Stripsteak have golden fingers with these little babies. try doing a search for either and I think LC has her method in the cookbook too.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Here is Little Chef's recipe for the smoked duck breast - it's in the cookbood section of this forum:

Cured Smoked Duck Breast a la Little Chef
    Ingredients: Boneless Duck Breast (up to 10 large)

Brine/cure

8 oz Kosher Salt

4 oz Honey (make sure you like the taste of the honey before adding!)

1 T garlic powder

1.5 oz TCM (Pink Salt, Prague Powder) Can be ordered online

3 Bay Leaves, slightly crumbled

Sprigs of fresh thyme (4 or 5)

6 ea cloves garlic, smashed with the side of the knife

Water, 10 cups

Mix all of the above ingredients, excluding duck, in a non reactive container or zip lock bag. Allow salt to dissolve before adding the duck.

Instructions: Prepare brine per above, and place in a large plastic container or large zip lock bag.

Rinse duck breasts, and add to cure/brine. Refrigerate duck in brine a minimum of 48 hours, or up to 7 days. Remove from brine, rinse duck, and allow to soak in cold fresh water 2 hours, changing water twice. Score skin in cross pattern (but do not cut the flesh!), place on a rack over a sheet pan. Allow to dry, uncovered, in fridge 12-24 hours.

Fire egg for a target temp of 275. Add platesetter and drip pan. Allow Egg to stabilize. Add your wood of choice just before adding the duck....Recommended: Apple, Citrus Woods, Cherry. You do not need much!! About 1/2 cup of wood is more than enough for this cook!

Smoke/cook the duck to an internal temp of 160*. (NO...this is not the temp I would cook fresh duck breast to, but in this application, with the brine, you will appreciate the extra firmness. It will NOY be dry!)

Remove from Egg and chill well prior to serving. Can be served with a mild cheese and cracker, or atop a Crostini with a citrus segment, but to be honest, it doesn\'t usually make it past the cutting board!! Slice thin on the bias, and enjoy!

Notes: This recipe works well on boneless chicken breast as well, but the chicken requires at least 4 days cure time for desired results.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini