Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie. What is up with this format?

2»

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Be careful in flat view. It is often difficult to determine who has replied to whom and to make sure you are replying to the proper post.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Fidel wrote:
    Be careful in flat view. It is often difficult to determine who has replied to whom and to make sure you are replying to the proper post.

Yeah, I won't be surprised if I embarrass myself - but it's happened before. :) I'll give it a try anyway. Maybe I'll just quote everything.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    I totally agree with you 100%, I was you over 2 years ago when we were on a different, even older format that made this one look like the most modern thing out there, so this IS the new forum for most of these guys that have been around for 10+ years.

The good/bad thing is (depending on how you look at it,) there isn't another forum out there that has the vast amount of information READILY AVAILABLE from people that have been eggin since the last century. I agree that it is very difficult to find what you're looking for which is why there are the same questions on here weekly from newbies that have a tendency on EVERY type forum out there, not to do a quick search on the topic they are interested in, but since there is no structure of topic, there isnt even a place to start and topics that are current keep scrolling further and further into the past, and the forum grows exponentially with the same info.

But what you do is look at the LAST 25 link up top, this is how everyone keeps up with whats active right now.

Or you just make a post and say "Hey, I'm newbie Mark and need help, don't understand, etc" and you'll usually have 10 people come back to you with answers on whatever it is that you're interested in and for the most part it will ALL be sincere help from someone wanting to help you. You'll quickly learn who you're interested in and you'll end up over at weesb, Naked Whizs, or others personal sites learning even more and seeing even more pictures. You'll end up at smokinguitarplayers site watching his silly videos on how to cook an elephant on a mini or whatever goofy video Fred has come up with.

Take your time, prepare for a little blasting by the group on this topic cause it aint gonna change anything, then read and learn. There is no where out there that you can find what you can find here whether its eggin or bbq in general, someone, or more like a LOT of someones here, has already done it, done it again, figured out what not to do, and perfected it. Also, there is a search which believe it or not is light years ahead of the last forum software. If you said this one was from 1994, the last was from the 80's, dial up bbs days.

I get a little frustrated once in a while using it and go off, but I always come back here for the info and the good people.
  • mb168
    Boy you hit the nail on the head. While I would love to have a vbulletin or phpbb board here, there is no amount of money that can make someone search a little to find their answer without posting.

What I can't get over is that its pretty common knowledge to everyone on every type forum software and every type forum topic whether its bbq, cars, Disney, sports, or knitting, to read around a little. Way back when I was a newbie on some other forum and topic I did the same thing. Then you see the sticky post that says NEWBIES READ THIS, and has some basic guides and number 1 is always "Look before you leap" Then a few people post to you and help you out and politely say "Here is your answer, and I found this by searching because we were just discussing this topic 2 weeks ago, and then you say "wow, didn't know I could do that" and stop posting until you do some reading to get caught up on whats being talked about now or find the answers you're looking for and if not, then make a post asking a question. Bingo, another forum newbie is trained in the art and etiquette of using forums, and he carries that knowledge forward to every other type forum out there for the rest of his life.
  • Will said LC

Ross
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Very well said....
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I know the forum could be better like newbie uqestion and GG stuff, but I find all my info here. Yes when I started on the egg a year ago even though I knew how to do the meat it scared the heck out of me. But everyone gave me encourgment and I finally relaxed. I have not ruined one cook yet but I know I probably will sometime or another hope it is not this weekend. So Relax and enjoy your egg.

Patti
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I actually prefer "Flat View" for it's simplicicty. When it is not obvious who someone is responding to based on the content, and I care enough, I will just click on classic to see, which isnt all that often. :)
  • Maybe this format would be better?
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    do not click the link just plane gross
  • mb168
    Right there is one reason I would dump this forum IMMEDIATELY. You should have to be a member to post and possibly even not allowed to post links or images until you have made a few posts already, not on the first one. Guests should be allowed to read, not post anything.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Like we don't know you are the one who did that.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Holy Cow! Lemonparty! The wife and I laffed our buttocks off! I just happened to have the sound at full blast. :S :ohmy: :woohoo: I hope someones children don't open that. Not really cool.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    invitation only Gene!!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Wess is in!! "Team Barefoot"
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Sorry you don't like it...

Me, I like the 'kitchen table format'. The forum is as much about the people as it is about the egg and there are not many self serving posts in this forum. Therein lies the intrigue.

GG
  • There is always room for improvement. We are working on evaluating some new underlying forum technology and features. Of course we'd make sure that there is ALWAYS a "classic view" that preserves the conversational "kitchen table" feel of the forum.

Consider CONTENT more than format.

There are multiple views you can switch between to see if one of the others suits your needs better. And there is a VERY FAST full text search available (that even phpBB doesn't implement).

Consider 15,000+ registered members and almost 3/4 of a MILLION posts to be a testament to this forums staying power.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    BRAVO!!! Well said!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mb168
    15k+ WOW, is there another bbq forum out there more active than that?

Hopefully attracting, and keeping, new users in the future will be a factor as well as keeping long time members happy. Balance grasshopper :)