Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Third Eye\'s wet pastrami, pic hvy

Options
Serial Griller
Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html
It was great..not salty.Thanks Wayne.
4 lb corned beef
P1010015-4.jpg
in the bag to soak for 48 hrs in the frige,changing water every 12 hr.
P1010016-3.jpg
dryed, and rubbed with Waynes peppery rub
P1010022-5.jpg
250 until 150' internal is reached.
P1010023-4.jpg
finished in the pressure cooker for 28 minutes, internal temp when taken out of the pc was 198'
P1010026-3.jpg
oh that color
P1010027-4.jpg
almost there
P1010028-3.jpg

Comments

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Wow, I have to try making my own pastrami as that looks amazing!! I don't have a pressure cooker, is that a required step??

Bruce
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Bruce,
    No, a pressure cooker is not required.
    Thirdeye gives you three options.See the link at the top of my original post.
    it's worth the effort
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Sweet, Jon. I didn't use Wayne's recipe, but I've got one that looks pretty similar in the oven right now, slowly warming over a pan of water. I can hardly wait for dinner.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Looks very tasty Jon

Ross
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks Jeff.We were chomping at the bit waiting for it to be done.I'm sure you are too.It's worth the wait.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
  • skyhopsing
    skyhopsing Posts: 107
    Options
    Great Pictures
    You have inspired me to something new!
  • LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    Options
    That look great. The best pastrami I ever ate was at Katz Deli in NYC. I've gotta believe that yours would top it. I'm going to have to do one myself. Can you freeze some after it is finished?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks like that turned out great and tasty!! Nice Jon!
    It'll make a few more great meals!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That's a really nice brisket. The thickness is really a bonus. I can taste that sandwich from here.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    lookin good!
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Well, chomp no more. It's finally done, and the pics are absolutely dreadful:

After the brining, three days in a mix of salt, pink salt, sugar, brown sugar, pickling spices and other things, then rinsed, soaked and wrapped until it's smoking time:
    Photo_032310_001.jpg

Then I rubbed with cracked black pepper and coriander for the smoke. I tried like heck to lay as much cold smoke on it as possible, with not much success...150 was about as cool as I could get my lump fire without snuffing the Egg. It was on for about 8 hours and pulled at 150:
    Photo_032410_002.jpg
    Photo_032410_001.jpg

I wrapped the smoked pastrami for tonight's family "reunion" (one kid was in Germany for a week, the rest in Atlanta visiting the inlaws), then put on a rack above a pan full of water for about 6 hours at 275. Pulled and sliced thin for sammies (the wife and I had reubens):

Photo_032610_002.jpg
    Photo_032610_001.jpg

Verdict: It came out better than I had hoped, a strong B+. Very good flavor, but still a bit chewy. Brisket and I are not the best of friends, but this one cooperated fairly well. A definite "do-again."
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Jon, those sandwich pictures have my mouth watering, do you deliver.

Great looking cook and a cook well worth doing. If you end up with any left over try some of the pastrami burgers, it makes a great mix.

Now I have to go pick up some corned beef tomorrow.

Kent
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Mike,
    I sliced some for sandwiches this weekend and divided the rest into two pieces and put in the freezer.we'll see how it does after freezing.I doubt it will stay in the freezer very long :)
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks Molly.Maybe there will be some left for you to try when you come up here.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Yours looks very good Jeffersonian!I love that peppery bark.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks Wayne..Your recipe is definately a keeper.
    This tasted so good I'm not sure I would try any of your other methods.You know when you find something so good you never want to venture out and try a different way of cooking. :) I was amazed that the internal temp out of the Pressure cooker was 198'.Cool!
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks Kent.I'll try some on a burger.That must be heaven!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Jon, your pastrami on pumpernickle with mustard would make a perfect lunch for me! The pastrami looks beautiful. :) Makes me want to try my hand at pastrami. That would make a great sandwich for March Madness.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I didn't expect it to get quite so dark (it was just medium-dark after the smoke...very dark after the steaming), but it was full of flavor, as you might expect of a mouthfull of black pepper and coriander :P
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Wow, that looks just great. I love Harris Ranch beef, have you ever been there? It is a regular overnight stop for us when heading up to No. California. Great restaurant & inn. And of course, great meat that they vacuum wrap and deep freeze for your drive.